Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 23rd, 2016 11:00

Dell Studio 1537 with black screen

Hello. I have a Dell Studio 1537 which doesn’t display any video output; the screen is completely black.

I ran the D + Power test and the screen displayed different colors and then the laptop tried to boot as always, but nothing changed. I also ran the F12 diagnostics and got the error:

Error Code 2000-0321
LCD EDID - Unable to access EDID EEPROM.

I thought that it could be that the LCD cable to the motherboard was cut because the screen hinge is broken and somehow it’s been touching the cable for a long time. It seems that the cable is slightly damaged but not enough. But what worries me the most is that I connected the laptop to an external screen through a VGA cable and I had screen issues in the external monitor, some stripes and soon I got a blue screen. However, if I enter Windows Safe Mode I don’t have any problem.

I reseated the LCD cable and nothing changed. Should I buy a new cable or as it seems I have a GPU problem? If that’s the case, does it have any solution?

Thank you!

September 23rd, 2016 17:00

Hi Carbosoc

Thanks for writing to us.

Do you mean on an external monitor in safemode the display works fine?

Please try updating the video drivers and observe on external screen again.

Have you tried running the LCD test by holding the letter D and then power up the machine?

If yes, did you see any display on the internal screen?

Do provide us your system tag#, email address and name via private message,by clicking on my name in blue and then select send a private message

Regards

September 24th, 2016 23:00

Hi we are awaiting your response.

3 Posts

September 25th, 2016 15:00

Sorry for the delay and thank you for your concern.

Yes, as I said, I can run the D + Power and the laptop screen shows different colors. Also, I can see the image on an external monitor in safe mode with no issues. But when I’m not in safe mode I get the graphic issues and blue screens.

I’ve been having problems updating the graphic drivers. Finally, I’ve been able to upgrade to the last version (my drivers version were from year 2009 and now they are from 2013) and the next time I’ve restarted the laptop, it has worked fine and the laptop screen has shown the image without any problem. Then I’ve restarted it several times and, although the screen is showing the image, I’m having graphic issues again and after some time I get a blue screen. In safe mode I have no problem.

I will try to reinstall the drivers again. If I don’t get any results maybe I should try to reinstall Windows, but if for some reason the system restarts during the installation that would be worse.

September 25th, 2016 20:00

Hi nice to hear from you. Thats a good idea. Do keep us posted once the windows reinstallation is successful

September 28th, 2016 21:00

Hi, how is it going on with the system?

3 Posts

October 10th, 2016 16:00

Sorry for the delay. I didn’t have time to work with this during the past two weeks.

After backing up all the information of the computer, I formatted the laptop and reinstalled a clean version of Windows. Unfortunately it hasn’t solved the problem. I still have the same graphic issues:

Sometimes the first time I boot the laptop I need an external screen because the laptop screen is black, but after restarting the computer the laptop screen works, but with the “stripes” on the screen, and in a couple of minutes it shows a blue screen with the message “Bad Pool Header” or simply telling that the laptop is shutting down to prevent more damage. Other times it seems Windows starts properly but soon I got the stripes again and the blue screen.

And as I said the first time, in Safe Mode it seems to work properly, without the stripes or crushing. I think it’s because in this mode the system somehow doesn’t fully use the graphic card (or, at least, when I try to change the screen resolution I can’t see the card details when going to the Advanced configuration).

With these facts I suspect something is wrong physically with the GPU, because I reinstalled Windows, I re-seated the LCD cable, and I also have the same problems in an external monitor. The problem is that there is no way to change the GPU without changing the motherboard… And I don’t know if there is a way to work as if I were in Safe mode, I mean, without “forcing” the graphic card drivers :\

No Events found!