Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 2nd, 2015 14:00

Dell Studio 1550 won't power

My wife was on her Studio 1550 the other night. I moved the laptop a little bit so she could show me something. When I moved it, the screen went white and then it quite working. The back of the laptop and the mouse pad got real hot and smelled hot.

It will not power up at all now with the battery or the power cord. It will not do anything when you press the power button. When the power cord is plugged in the laptop continues to get very hot and actually smoked a little bit once.

Does anyone have any idea of what happened to the latop or if it can be fixed? Did the motherboard get fried somehow? Any information or help would be greatly appreciated. Would really like to fix this laptop.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

January 2nd, 2015 23:00

Hi bowtiefan,

I would suggest you to try flashing the BIOS on the system. Please enter your service tag # on the link below, select the operating system, and then download the BIOS from the BIOS section onto the system and install it.

Also, please clean the air vents using the can of compressed air and then run the diagnostics on the computer by following the steps mentioned in the video below and check if there is any issue with the hardware on your system.

Please let me know the findings.

3 Posts

January 5th, 2015 05:00

I can't download anything on to the laptop. I can't turn the laptop on. It will not do anything when I press the power button.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

January 6th, 2015 04:00

Unplug the system, remove the battery, and hold the power button for 30 sec.  Remove and reinstall both memory modules.  Verify that the AC adapter LED is ON before you plug in the notebook end.  If it's not, replace the adapter.

Try powering up on AC only -- if it will but won't with the battery installed, the battery is bad.  If it still won't power up, the mainboard is bad.

3 Posts

January 6th, 2015 04:00

Any ideas of what I could do or what could be wrong since it won't even turn on to flash the BIOS?

No Events found!