Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 2nd, 2013 19:00

Dell Studio 1555 Will Not Turn On

I have a Dell Studio 1555 that is 4 years old (so no warranty left). Recently it has had problems starting up whenever it went off. I would try draining the static power by holding down the power button with all power sources out of it, and eventually it would work. However, a few days ago it went off and will not start at all when i tried these methods. The adaptor is good, I also tried another adaptor. The battery is good (all 5 lights come on when i do the battery test on the back of it). It is something internal as it wont light up or click on, no fans, etc. Does anyone know what this could be, or what else I can try. I am not sure how to reset the laptop on the back. I just dont want something like that to cause file deletion either though. Thanks!

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

July 2nd, 2013 20:00

Hi BPatel8,

I would like to know if there is any power light on the system when it is turned.  

I suspect the motherboard is faulty. However try running diagnostics on the system.  To run diagnostics shut the system down, press and hold the Fn key on the keyboard and press the power button.

Let me know the status of the results.

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

July 2nd, 2013 21:00

Hi BPatel8,

As already mentioned, I susepct the motherboard has gone bad and consider replacing it. Please contact the Out of warranty department to get the system serviced.   The number is 800-288-4410 if you are in US region, for UK region the number is 844-338-1000 , for India the number is 1-800-425-8045 and for Canada the number is 1-800-847-4096 .   In case you belong to a different region, let me know the region you belong to, to provide you the contact information.

2 Posts

July 2nd, 2013 21:00

Hi Sujatha, I tried holding down the Fn key while pressing the power button and nothing happened. Blank screen, no lights, no sounds, etc.

September 23rd, 2014 10:00

I have the exact same problem mine is about 5 years old. It shut down a few months ago and it will ot come on. at first it would not show that it was charging at all. the charge light would go out as soon as it was plugged in. I got someone to chage the charge port not it looks like it is charging but it is not. I only have 3 lights on my battery and I did not even know to check that until you mentioned. Someone told me that it is probably the mother board.

1 Message

September 26th, 2014 09:00

Hi All,

I also have the Studio 1555 series laptop, purchased it 5 years back. I have seen the same kind of problem with the other users as well. It worked fine last night but when woke up the next day, laptop won't turn up.

This kind of problem could be due to the residual charge of capacitors (basically the capacitor is overcharged) in the motherboard as suggested by Sujatha, so we need to drain it down. With the very malfunction other problems arise as well. My system suddenly turns off, it goes in sleep mode all of a sudden and other problems as well. So the first-aid we can give at home is to drain down the charge of capacitors.

As suggested by Dell Experts, take all the peripheral devices out (even the battery) and press the power button continuously for 30 seconds. Plug the AC Adapter and wait for 30 seconds. Sometimes it may take long to discharge so you can increase the time for both process or redo both multiple times.

For me it worked and I am very thankful to the Dell Experts.

Thank you everyone !!

1 Message

February 16th, 2017 01:00

If the battery is charged but the computer does not start except for a couple of blinks when you push the power button, the power button is broken. This can be bought on amazon for less than 7 GBP/10euro.

The following you tube video shows how to replace the power button: www.youtube.com/watch

It worked for me

No Events found!