Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Y

July 26th, 2013 01:00

Dell Studio 1555 not Booting - Beeping sounds. Will replacing CMOS battery help?

Well my laptop was working fine till last night, I had just kept it on Sleep for some time. When I tried turning it on again, it wouldn't (even the Dell logo doesn't come). Then I tried everything from removing CMOS battery for sometime to trying Fn+Power button but nothing works. This is the second time that I've had this issue in the last 6 months. The last time, the guy at the service centre said it was some Video Card problem. Although, I have a hunch that all he did back then was replace the CMOS battery with a new one (found it to be a Mitsubishi cell - don't know if that's the brand that comes with the laptop by default). So, I don't want to end up spending a lot of money on this again. Will replacing the CMOS battery with a new one help?

--

Surya 

1.3K Posts

July 26th, 2013 01:00

Hi Surya,

Welcome to Dell Community Forum.

For various system failures the system is designed to emit specific beep codes which is designated by a number. The beep code signifies the number of beeps that would be emitted. For example beep code 4 represents a series of 4beeps where:

1. The delay between each beep will be 300 Ms.
  2. The delay between each set of beeps is 3 seconds.
  3. The duration of each single beep is 300 Ms.

After each beep and each set of beeps, the BIOS will detect if the user presses the power button. If a power button press is detected then the BIOS will exit looping and will execute normal shutdown process.

Please let us know how many beeps you hear so that we can determine the specific component failure in the computer.

Additionally, you can click on this link for an article on how to obtain your computer’s beep codes to help troubleshoot your computer: http://dell.to/15PAkax

Thanks and regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell 

For easy access to drivers, manuals and product updates, please visit our Support Site .

10 Posts

July 26th, 2013 13:00

Hi Babita,

Well I'm afraid I'm getting 6 beeps, and I know this would lead to a motherboard issue. But the last time I ha the similar problem (with same no. of beeps), I didn't go in for any part replacements. 

--

Surya 

807 Posts

July 29th, 2013 03:00

6 beeps is Video Card failure....this will require a replacement motherboard.

www.parts-people.com/index.php

10 Posts

July 29th, 2013 03:00

Can anybody help me with this issue please?

1.3K Posts

July 30th, 2013 04:00

Hi Surya,

Thank you for your reply.

If the system is under warranty, please contact me through private message by clicking on my name highlighted in blue. On the next page, click the envelope icon and provide your service tag and contact information (as mentioned below) so that I may access your system records.

• System Service Tag No.:
  • Registered System Owner's Name:
  • Shipping address:
  • Telephone number/s:
  • Email address:

However, if the system is out of warranty, then you can contact our Expired Warranty Support at the link below:

http://dell.to/12LmNBq

Please feel free to contact us in case of further queries. We would be happy to help.

Thanks and regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell 

For easy access to drivers, manuals and product updates, please visit our Support Site .

1.3K Posts

August 2nd, 2013 05:00

Hi Surya,

We hope the issue with your computer is resolved.

Unfortunately we have not received feedback from you on this topic. If you need continued support, please respond to my post.

Thanks and regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell 

10 Posts

August 5th, 2013 06:00

Hi Babita,

The link you've shared with me was for a warranty renewal if I'm right. I would not like to go in for a renewal at the moment, but just want to fix my issue with my video card.

Would be great if you could let me know what the problem could be exactly and how much it would cost me.

--

Surya

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 5th, 2013 06:00

You'll need a mainboard replacement.  If you have Intel video, it's this board

www.parts-people.com/index.php

If ATI,

e-merrilltech.com/dell-studio-1555-discrete-system-board-512mb-ati-video-c235m.html

1.3K Posts

August 6th, 2013 06:00

Hi Surya,

Thank you for your reply.

The link provided is for Expired Warranty Support Assistance (fee-based support), in the United States , in case the warranty has expired on the system. It is not for warranty renewal.

If your computer is not under active warranty and you want to get the system repaired through Dell, you can click on the link and select the country where service is required, on the top-left corner (it is currently selected to USA). Click on the option for "Support" and then "Contact Us" for contact details. The technical support representative you speak with should be able to provide you the information you require.

Please reply if you have further queries.

Thanks and regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell 

1 Message

June 2nd, 2014 13:00

Hi i think my dell inspiron 4010 just crashed. Im not sure why but it emits beeping sounds. Each set of beeps consists of 8 beeps. I don't know what that signifies. Can u tell me what may be the problem? I remember plugging in the power cord to my laptop as it is hybernating due to low battery... 

1.3K Posts

June 2nd, 2014 14:00

Hi Vulcan546,

Welcome to Dell Community Forum.

Your system may emit a series of beeps during start-up if the LCD cannot display errors or problems. The 8 beeps on your laptop indicate either an LCD failure or an LCD cable failure. However, I suggest you to try connecting a known good external monitor and check if it works (If available).

You may also try running a hardware diagnostics by holding the FN key and pressing the power button.

Make a note of the error codes that appear (if any).

Also click on this link for steps to run the LCD BIST: http://dell.to/1rE0Dzt

Please keep us posted on the results for further assistance.

Thanks and regards.
Babita S
#iworkfordell

To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US Customers; UK Customers; India Customers. For Dell support videos click Here.

1.3K Posts

June 4th, 2014 13:00

Hi Vulcan546,

Greetings.

We hope the link was helpful.

Please reply for further assistance.

Thanks and regards.
Babita S
#iworkfordell

To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US Customers; UK Customers; India Customers. For Dell support videos click Here.

November 3rd, 2014 13:00

Hi Babitha,

My Dell Laptop Studio 1569 beeps on when switch on power . I could see lights on my keyboard and could hear the fan sound. But no display or message on screen. It gives 1 long beep pause 2 short beeps and then 2 short beeps. Please note that my laptop is not in warranty.

I tried a few options like connecting it to external display, removing RAM from slots 1 at a time and reseating them. But nothing worked out.

Can you please advise. If it is a motherboard failure I don't want to invest on replacing it as it is expensive.

Thanks,
Srinivas.

No Events found!