Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 17th, 2016 10:00

Dell Studio 1558 will not start

I have a Dell Studio 1558 that will not boot.

When plugged in to the adapter, with our without battery, the white light on the laptop by the power port lights up for a second and then turns off. The adapter led is blue, and stays blue if unplugged. 

When I press the power button (with/without battery, with adapter), the light on the power button turns on for a second, and the fan starts. If I hold the button for a second the fan starts and I can hear a click that sounds like the start of a boot but both stop after less than a second.

I've tried removing the adapter and battery and holding the power button for 30seconds (and one minute), and re-doing the boot steps again with and without battery.

I opened the back and re-seated the memory, put the battery back in, and plugged in the adapter, and pushed the power button. No power button light and fan doesn't turn on, but the adapter port light now blinks orange/white for a few seconds before it goes off again.

Took battery back off, and pressed power button. adapter port light blinks white for a second or two, then it turns off again. Still no power button light, still no fan...

So worse than before? Are there additional things I can try?

Thanks!

2K Posts

September 17th, 2016 17:00

Hi MISC3389,

Are you using an original Dell OEM Adapter? When you plug in the adapter to the system, does the adapter stay firm or does it fall off easily? Is the adapter frayed?

Something is causing the short circuit on the system and hence the issue.

Three components could be isolated to cause this issue: Adapter, DC port and motherboard.

So, try another adapter. If the issue is the same, then replace the dc port - you would need this part - http://bit.ly/2bZgPXB

If the issue still persists, then the motherboard needs to be replaced. 

Presuming there is no warranty, then you could contact our team to get a quote for a paid service call - http://dell.to/1vnT6CQ

Personally, I would suggest you to invest your money in a new machine than to repair this machine. 

Also, please click my DELL-username and write me a private conversation with the service tag and your contact details(Name and Email) for case records.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

No Events found!