Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 19th, 2013 01:00

Dell Studio 1747 won't turn on (has a happy ending)

Thought I'd post this in case anyone else has the same issue.

After putting my dell to sleep and returning a few hours later it refused to turn on. Absolutely nothing happened when I pressed the power switch (no lights on the power or the media buttons, no fan sound). I went through all the usual procedures and verified that the battery and power supply were fine.

As I was giving up I tried removing the battery one last time. I put it back in and tried turning the 1747 on while it was upside down. This worked, though you need to open the screen quickly or it shuts down again. In fact it turns out that currently the only way to turn my laptop on is upside down with the screen closed.

I'll have a go at fixing the power switch shortly and post my findings here.

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

July 19th, 2013 02:00

Hi timohear,

I am sorry for the inconvenience, shut down the system remove the battery connect only the AC adapter and check if the system works?

In case the system works please run the Dell PC diagnostics on battery using the link below.

http://dell.to/We70YO

In this link click on hardware >select battery and click on run diagnostics.

Let us know about the progress.

2 Posts

July 24th, 2013 03:00

After removing the display bezel (quick and easy be pulling with your fingers on the inside of the bezel -- see "Dell Studio 1745/1747 service manual" online). I was able to access the internals of the power button. By moving the wires connected to the power button board with a toothpick it's clear that one of the wires has a faulty contact. I was able to come up with a temporary fix by jamming a small piece of wood between the wires.

The easiest thing will probably to buy a new power switch board + wire part (~15$). Accessing the screw to remove the power switch board seems to involve removing and dismantling the display.

Does anyone know if an easier in-situ repair could be attempted?

1 Message

August 2nd, 2015 19:00

I found this thread when I tried to switch on my dell Studio 1749 tonight and nothing happened. Tried several things, checked the RAM was seated, checked the power switch was ok, checked battery ok etc etc.

Then while looking at the RAM ports I spotted that one of the spare aerial connectors in the WAN area of the motherboard was touching a metal part. I moved the aerials, pressed the power button and hey presto, all working fine again. Those spare aerial connectors are now covered in insulating tape and for extra peace of mind are now fixed down by taping to the motherboard.

Hope this helps anyone else experiencing this slightly random event!

No Events found!