Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 6th, 2014 10:00

Dell Studio - Battery not Identified and WiFi not Connected

Hello,

I bought Dell Studio 1555 in August 2009. I mostly use my laptop on my desk at home. I have now two following issues in my laptop:

Issue #1) Battery Issue

I always disconnect AC adapter during night and shutdown every night. In July 2014, I was very busy working on my laptop, so did not shutdown for three days, remained in sleep mode during night connected with AC adapter. After 3 days, my battery stopped working. If battery is not connected to laptop, laptop does not show any error message at start-up. When battery is connected, laptop at start-up shows "Battery is not identified" .... "Press F1 to continue, without charging the battery", the LED keeps orange, orange, orange, orange, white.

Troubleshooting tried so far:

(1) BIOS set to default. AC adapter shows 65W.

(2) Dell Quickset uninstalled and installed.

(3) Replaced battery with new one.

(4) After lot of tries, finally, backed up all the data, then restore the laptop with factory image.

I have now opened/disassembled my laptop, and no unusual broken or burned wire observed, everything looks fine.

Any advice to resolve the battery issue would be highly appreciated.

Issue #2) WiFi not Connected

Since last two years, my WiFi of laptop recognizes the WiFi network but unable to connect. I tried various solutions so far, updated driver, restore to factory image, etc. LAN cable and USB WiFi stick work fine. 

Any suggestion to resolve the WiFi issue would be highly appreciated.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 10th, 2014 17:00

k4khan2010,

Sorry for the delay, busy time with changes at my work.

The blinking was telling you the battery failed.

Did you replace the battery with a Dell Battery?

Unplug the computer from the wall, remove the battery. Press and hold the power button for 30 seconds. This releases the flease power and tells the computer to look for new hardware on startup.

You said you reinstalled the operating system? The sign that the network adapter is missing is the drivers were not installed in the correct order.

When you reinstalled the operating system, did you install the Dell System Software (if applicable) and the chipset drivers first? If not, the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Start with the Dell System Software and the chipset drivers and follow the list.

Rick

5 Posts

October 12th, 2014 08:00

Hello Rick,

Thank you very much for your response.

My battery was used to hold charge for 2-3 hours, but once in July, I worked too much on laptop and put laptop on sleep in the night and AC adapter remained connected. After three days, I noticed battery LED orange, orange, orange, orange, white. And, laptop did not turn on from battery and now working with only on AC adapter.

When I do not connect battery, there is no error. When I connect battery, the error shows at boot up "Battery could not be identified and would be able to charge this battery, Press F1 to continue without charging battery."

I did several times the procedure of hold the power button for 30 seconds without battery, but it did not work out.

I am wondering whether the new Dell battery will help or is it battery charger circuit problem?

Actually, I restored the factory image, which has the correct drivers, so I doubt it is the driver problem with WiFi, I have previously installed and tried several Intel and Dell WiFi drivers and chipset drivers, but nothing worked out. What do you think?

Based on your expertise, what is your opinion about battery?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 12th, 2014 21:00

k4khan2010,

The orange, orange, orange, white blinking is very annoying. If you look at the status of your battery, it will change to only a certain percent. After a period of time(I took my battery out), when you put the battery back in, it no longer blinks but the battery will not charge. It usually means the battery needs replaced. I have 2 broken hinges on my system(older system) so I have the screen propped up and will not be replacing parts.

Rick

5 Posts

October 17th, 2014 18:00

Hello Rick,

Thank you for your reply. The original Dell battery is dead. When I put the duplicate battery, the laptop does not give any error at start-up and after boot the laptop shows 'Plugged in, not charging". I run the Dell diagnostic test and found the Battery Test Failed with Error code: WBT02-LPK. Any idea?

With Best Regards,

Khan.

5 Posts

October 17th, 2014 19:00

Hello Rick,

I run the Dell Pre-boot Diagnostic Assessment and got two error codes:

Error Code: 3600-0533
Msg: Primary_Battery_Bay - Unable to communicate with battery

Error Code: 3600-0852
Msg: Primary_Battery_Bay - A permanent failure was detected

Any idea

No Events found!