Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 29th, 2017 14:00

Dell Studio Laptop (2010?) Won't Start Past the Dell Logo

I need some help with my old Dell Studio Laptop. I don't know the exact make, but I am pretty sure it is from 2010. Anyway, a few weeks ago, I put a disc into my laptop and shortly, the laptop started making strange noises. I managed to eject the disc, but now whenever I try to start up the laptop, I cannot. After the Dell logo pops up, it says there is a problem with starting my computer (this is a blue, Windows 10 screen, as I downloaded Windows 10). I have tried restarting, following that blue screen to "Troubleshoot," "Advanced Options," "System Restore," etc., but nothing is working. I have some photos on my laptop that I would like to recover before this situation gets any worse. Thank you!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 29th, 2017 16:00

First thing to do is remove the hard drive, mount it in an external case (example below) and attach it to a working system to make a backup of those files.

Once that's done, you can proceed with the Dell diagnostics (F12 at powerup) -- test the entire system AND run an extended test on the hard drive.  If there is an error, replace the faulty part.  If not, you can proceed with a repair or reinstall of the OS.

Get the files backed up NOW before you go any further.

You'll need something like this

www.newegg.com/.../Product.aspx

No Events found!