Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 13th, 2010 04:00

Dell Studio XPS 16 won't wake from sleep (Windows 7)

Last week I received my new Dell Studio XPS 16 laptop with Windows 7. When I close the lid, the computer goes to sleep ok, but then when I open the lid, the keyboard lights up and then it just sits there. No login sound, the display doesn't show and I have to hold the power button down to turn it off. I've got the latest BIOS and the latest ATI HD 4670 drivers.

Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

2 Posts

June 13th, 2010 12:00

Hi Mary, thanks for the reply. I've tried pressing the power button, in fact I've tried pressing it about 20 times whilst waiting for the laptop to start up. Also please note, the laptop has hybrid sleep disabled by default.  Ive had to resort to using hibernation instead of sleep, which isn't great because it takes longer.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

June 13th, 2010 12:00

Windows 7 requires a brief press of the the hardware power button to wake from Hybrid Sleep. If a key press doesn't wake the computer, press the power button. Of course you should not hold it down or computer will turn off. Read the info in Windows Help about Power Settings. Hibernation needs the same press of the power button to wake.

1 Message

August 4th, 2010 18:00

For what it's worth, I just got my XPS16 yesterday and I suffer the same problem about 30% of the time when I close the laptop and set it down.  The keyboard lights and it looks like everything comes back to life...except the display.  The only solution is to hold the power button until it shuts down and start over.

1 Message

June 7th, 2011 05:00

Make your Home Network wireless connection Private - trust me it works

No Events found!