Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 24th, 2013 13:00

Dell Studio XPS 1640 not integrated graphic card and more

Hello,

I would like to know if i am able to order a not integrated with graphic card motherboard (so i could replace graphic card) for Dell Studio XPS 1640 that is compatible with 3rd generation processors like Intel core i7. Also i would like to buy other BRAND NEW components for this laptop model such as panel door cover, audio port, internal cooling fan, keyboard, blue-ray disc combo or palmrest touchpad. If such topic was already created, sorry but i could not find it.  I will appreciate for any response.

Thanks. 

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 24th, 2013 14:00

First, what you cannot do:

There are no boards that will fit the system and take a third-generation Core i CPU.   The 1647 (Similar chassis) can take a second-generation i7, but even that may or may not work in your system).  Third generation -- no way.

As for "brand new" components - you'll likely have to settle for "slightly used".  By the time you add up the cost of a board ($200-250), processor (another $200 or more), palmrest ($50), fan ($30 or so), and the other parts you'll be well over half what a much faster, new system will cost.

It makes no sense to sink over $500 in parts in a system this old.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 24th, 2013 15:00

The only sure thing is a 1640 board - and yes, there was a version with discrete video.

www.parts-people.com/index.php

I don't think you'll find the later boards (1645, 1647) will be a fit for the 1640 chassis.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 24th, 2013 15:00

Thanks for all suggestions and reply. This laptop has a sentimental value for me and it is a only reason why i want to upgrade it. One last question because i did not seen it in your post. Can i have a motherboard with a graphic card slot (not integrated one). So far i found in internet are integrated. Thanks.

No Events found!