Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 13th, 2010 03:00

Dell Studio XPS 1645 Firewire Issues

I have a new (24/12/09) xps, with an i7 820 etc. I have been getting lines through video when capturing from HDV tape. The Motherboard/Firewire card were replaced the next week (go dell!), however, this had no impact. I have an HP Pavilion DV6 1244TX (lower spec) which captures fine so I know it is not the camera nor cable. I also ran vista 32 bit and had the same probs. Tried different software also. BIOS is A03. Video card has been updated to latest ATI through mod.

SO, I was wondering if anyone else is having problems with their firewire on their Studio XPS 16 laptops, or whether it is working fine?

Thanks

January 15th, 2010 19:00

I'm having the same problem with my xps 1645 i7 q720. I chatted with dell and they said it was a software problem but i've tried premiere cs4, and windows movie maker to capture with the same results. I've updated the ricoh driver, bios and graphics card driver. I have a feeling it's the ricoh firewire card or driver. It works fine on sd but I get green lines on hdv. My xps m1710 captures hdv fine so I also know it's not the camera or cable. Hopefully the problem can be resolved with a new driver update? The computer rocks other than that!

6 Posts

January 15th, 2010 22:00

I was able to demonstrate to support by having my old laptop (HP) and new (dell) side by side. This showed it was a hardware / system software issue. My latest is I got a cheap ($5) express card with firewire, and this works with no prob. on HDV. Agree, a rocking  computer. Thanks for your post.

1 Message

January 17th, 2010 00:00

I have exactly the same problem with exactly the same computer. Which express card did you buy if I may ask?

Also, to the previous poster, did you manage to solve it as well? And if so, how?

Thanks

6 Posts

January 17th, 2010 01:00

I brought the cheapest I could find (ieee-1394A) on ebay from Hong Kong ($5 + $10 postage). Ultimately, I understand it is the way of these things, where something cheap is not necessarily bad. If you want to spend $90 there is a Belkin one, however, I saw someone having problems with one in the forum when researching this issue. It is even a 6pin to 4pin which apparently doesn't work on Sony Cameras, but again is working fine. Still not happy that this has occurred, as it must cost less than $10 of the computer for this, and Ricoh firewire does not have favorable feedback (also when doing research for this issue). However, as it is sorted, and the rest of the computer is fantastic (notwithstanding the random freezing), it is not worth returning the laptop over. Will keep and eye on updates, unless someone has a better idea.

January 17th, 2010 06:00

I'm in the process of getting a firewire/usb combo card on ebay. It would be nice to have another usb port anyway. As for the 6pin to 4 pin cable,  I've never had a problem with my sony hvr z1u on any of my computers but do be careful and make sure the camera is off before plugging it in or unplugging it, I have lost a firewire card before and have read of a lot of people damaging their cards/cameras. captnknz I'm glad you mentioned the freezing. Mine did that as well, usually when maximizing  or minimizing a video. I uninstalled the catalyst control center (ccc) and haven't had a freeze up since.

14 Posts

April 6th, 2010 15:00

I have the same exact problem with my Studio XPS 16 (1645) - dropouts while capturing through the Firewire port.  I've tried Sony Vegas, Adobe Premiere and Adobe OnLocation with the same results.  I've used different cables, and two different signal sources (a JVC deck and a JVC camera.)  I even tried swapping out the hard drive and doing a complete reinstall of Windows 7.  This is most definately a hardware problem.

Unfortunately, using the Firewire to capture video is something I do several times a week - I'm a professional video editor.  I'll have to decide if buying an expresscard "dongle" is something I can live with.

April 8th, 2010 05:00

I'm in the same boat with you ASK4FISH. So far none of my Apple friends have figured out that my brand new laptop won't capture hdv video. The dell support reasoned with me that it wasn't hardware because sd capture worked but that I would have to pay for software support (if it's software, I think it's the firmware or the driver) which doesn't seem right to me. With that said I got a whole lot more for my money than my Apple friend who purchased his mac pro at the same time (minus the hdv capture of course). I still haven't purchased the expresscard since my xps m1710 captures hdv fine but all in all I'm still quite happy with my purchase:)

6 Posts

April 8th, 2010 06:00

I spent an hour on the phone to tech support, sharing my Dell Screen as well as a lower spec'd HP Dv6 pavilion. Not a flicker with capture on the HP, whereas the DELL was dropping out all over the place (with a Sony HDR-FX1000E prosumer camera). I was able to show various capture software having the same outcome. I haven't heard anything since, but had the Firewire port replaced (after the motherboard). With BIOS A08, Motherboard, 130W PSU, Firewire port, factory reinstall, still same problem. Ricoh does not have a good reputation for Firewire card who manufacture this component, so think is a design issue. Probably got a two for one with the SD card reader. Again, purchased cheap express card off e-bay and does the job nicely. Shame about all the issues, but at least the machine has plenty of guts, and at least has express card bay which other top end models do not necessarily have such as the HP Envy.

14 Posts

April 8th, 2010 09:00

I just received my cheap firewire ExpressCard from Amazon and it now works perfectly to capture video.  While I was not initially happy about having a big dongle hanging out of the laptop while tethered to my camera, one benefit is the ExpressCard has six-pin connectors which are more secure than the four pin.

I'm suspecting an IRQ conflict for the on-board firewire, but that's just a hunch.

1 Message

January 24th, 2011 14:00

I received my studio xps 1645 end of november 2010 and it's still the same. Its not my first dell, i even recommended dell to many friends before - I've bought a workstation worth more than 10'000 bucks. I buy dell in my small business too.... and now this. Hardwaresupport still tries to send you to software support - softwaresupport sends you back. In the end they say, you have to wait for updates to come for the firewire.... what is the most annoying about it all, I told the sales dept. that I need this laptop for hdv capture on location!!!!! Do they not read the forums, does the support never inform the sales dept. about bugs? It's unbelievable. A real shame for a company like dell! Thanks for the information in this forum - i just ordered a cheap firewire expresscard...

dancers_ch

No Events found!