Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 3rd, 2013 23:00

Dell SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Docking Station Model: D3000 losing 2nd monitor connection

My Dell SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Docking Station Model: D3000 is connected to my Dell Inspiron 17R SE 7720 as well as two external Disk drives, an external DVD drive, Printer and speakers as well as an external Monitor.  Recently I took my laptop on a trip and when I returned, when I reconnected it to the docking station it no longer recognized my external monitor. 

I have gone through several diagnostic steps not limited to unistalling and reinstalling the DisplayLink Software and accidentally bumped into only one action which seems to work - Power failing the Docking station (Pulling the power cord).  Unfortunately, this is a pretty serious action to take and the fix doesn't seem to stick as I have had my second monitor drop out after restarting my computer.

The bigger problem is that I spent over a week trying to figure out where to get support for the Docking Station and the DisplayLink Software.  It seems my only alternative is to call in and speak to Dell Tech Support, but this is very inconvenient because my work hours are the same time as Dell Technical Support but this is my personal computer.

P.S. One other problem I have with the Dell SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Docking Station is that the rubber feet on my Dell Inspiron 17R SE 7720 are outside the width of the Docking Station so the Laptop can not be positioned on top of the Docking Station because it slides right out.

9 Posts

March 17th, 2014 10:00

I thought I should update the Dell community in the hopes that a few users will read this BEFORE buying a Dell Super Speed USB 3.0 Docking Station.  I would update my review on the Dell site, but this is not supported by Dell, once a review is entered you can not update it.

Since my original post here I have experienced some even more frustrating failures. 

1. Ethernet Connection fails - My Ethernet connection has failed, causing loss of connection to my router and obviously the internet.  I performed significant diagnostics and it finally came down to pulling the power cord to the Dell Super Speed USB 3.0 Docking Station.
  2. New Router connection not recognized - I purchased a Netgear R6300 WiFi Router at the same time I bought the Dell Super Speed USB 3.0 Docking Station, unfortunately I can not get the device to work with the Docking Station in the loop.  It with the Dell USB 3.0 Docking Station.
  3. Speaker Problems - I have encountered problems with my externally mounted speakers which I thought might be Windows 8 issues but eventually came down to problems with the Dell Super Speed USB 3.0 Docking Station, fixable in some instances by powerfailing the docking station. 
  4. Lack of Support - Trying to find out if this could be caused by software support I found out that the consumer is caught in the middle.  The Software providing the dual monitor support 

In summary - I have found the Dell Super Speed USB 3.0 Docking Station to be a totally unreliable device with advertised features not working consistently, including: dual monitor, ethernet connection, sleep mode support and speaker support.  Additionally the Docking Station does not function in an effective manner, requiring two connections and not providing the simplicity that previous Dell machine specific docking stations have.

9 Posts

September 6th, 2014 14:00

This might not be directed to me, but I ended up using my Dell 3.0 Super Speed "Docking Station" as a USB 3.0 Hub.  My Dell Inspiron 7720 came with a VGA connection and along with the NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M graphics card I can use two displays without the DisplayLink software.  Ethernet, speakers are connected directly along with one USB 3.0 connection to the Dell Super Speed Docking Station.  On the "Docking Station" I have the power supply connected along with some USB 2.0 and a couple of USB 3.0 connected devices.  This seems to be working reliably with both my old USB 2.0 Seagate 256 and my newer Dell USB 3.0 external disk drives working ok.  I do have to cancel the installation of the DisplayLink software installation that pops up at system startup to keep it from trying to run my monitors and Internet connection. 

Eventually, I will buy a better USB 3.0 powered Hub but I wanted to see if I could get some use out of the Dell 3.0 Super Speed Docking Station.  I have had this up working for about 2 weeks and so far everything is ok.

As far as a replacement docking station, everyone I have researched seems to rely on the DisplayLink software and I am not prepared to go that way again.  Each of the various hardware components are sold by an outside vendor so you get your "support" indirectly which is dubious at best.  There are vendors who support multiple monitors, we use them at work and I will research them before returning to the DisplayLink route.

I hope that Dell recognizes that Home Computer users want a real docking station and will change their policy and allow them to be sold in the Home Computer market place.  The concept of using a single USB 3.0 connection may be asking too much of the technology.

9 Posts

March 18th, 2015 22:00

In the end the Dell 3.0 Super Speed "Docking Station" failed even to perform as an adequate USB Hub.  Every time it was restarted it tried to install the DisplayLink Software and within a few hours it would lose connection to my printer and external hard drives.  I replaced it with an Anker USB 3.0 10-Port Hub with Charging Port which has been working well for over 2 months.  I've packed the Dell 3.0 Super Speed "Docking Station" back up in the original packaging and I'll send it off to anyone who is willing to pay for the shipping.

4 Posts

August 11th, 2015 05:00

I resolved my issue by downloading the driver directly from http://www.displaylink.com/downloads/downloads.php ! hope this helps someone

1 Message

February 3rd, 2014 11:00

I have every one of the issues you described. I continually unplug the docking station and the USB and then re-plug. I don't like doing this and it isn't always a guaranteed fix. I bypassed the docking station to confirm that all of the peripherals are functioning correctly narrowing the problem to the docking station.

1 Message

August 19th, 2014 16:00

Does anyone understand what Dell Super Speed 3.0 capabilities are? Is it supposed to charge my laptop battery when plugged in? Mine is not. Can I adjust settings so that I can close my Dell lap top screen and keep the machine from going to sleep? Though not a docking station specific issue, I would think the software would enable this option.

9 Posts

August 20th, 2014 01:00

1. I worked with the Dell Super Speed 3.0 for about a year before I finally got tired of pulling the power plug out of the back of the device to recover the following -
    1. My external monitor and finally my Ethernet connection.
    2. Support for the device was difficult to locate.  It is sold by Dell but the software contained within the device is from DisplayLink so I had to go to their site for updates.

2. The Dell Super Speed 3.0 will NOT charge your laptop battery.  You will need to plug the laptop into the Power Supply you received with the laptop to charge the battery.
  3. The adjustment to stop the laptop from going to sleep has NOTHING to do with the Dell Super Speed 3.0.  This is an Operating System/Hardware Function.  If you go to Control Panel then Power Options then select from the left column "Choose what closing the lid does" you will get to the screen System Settings.  On my Dell Inspiron 7720 there are separate settings for On Battery and Plugged in for "When I close the lid:"  the selectable options are Do Nothing, Sleep, Hibernate, Shutdown.  This is on Windows 8 YMMV. 

16 Posts

August 31st, 2014 13:00

Hi,

I've got precision M3800 and XPS15 which obviously won't have the connector for the previous dell E plus docking station. I'm alright with connecting power to the laptop since signal to Dell Super Speed 3.0 for the monitors is sent via the USB cable and ethernet signal back through the same USB cable. I understand the workaround with the OS with choosing "Do nothing" when you close the lid, it's acceptable minding is a USB connection and was probably difficult for the drivers to change this OS setting automatically. I'm fine, however, I have one question - how do you switch On the laptop in the morning without opening the lid and press the button since there's no power button to press on the docking station and I doubt displaylink dev. can write code to power On the laptop via USB port - since that's the only connection you have. It's a too low level for bios to even send Wake on Lan packets to your ethernet port since power On signal still needs to come through USB cable.

Anyone has got this sorted?

Appreciate your replies.

Thank you.

Regards,

4 Posts

September 6th, 2014 13:00

I have the same issues with the Dell Super Speed 3.0, with my Inspiron 7737. I am at the same point of frustration, so what did you end up doing? I presume you got rid of it, and now use another docking station. I need to do the same, Would you mind letting me know what you ended up with?

Thanks

4 Posts

September 6th, 2014 15:00

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, my question was directed at you. I have a dual monitor set-up, and my laptop has only an HDMI port, so the docking station was a good solution, at least for a while. I will probably shop for another, Very irritating.

1 Message

September 10th, 2014 17:00

I have a Latitude 6430u with the SuperSpeed USB D3000.  I'm having all of the issues y'all are having as well.  The first D3000 I received didn't even work - I am on my third and have all the same issues.  I've tried a wired mouse and keyboard, not plugging one monitor into the docking station; nothing works.  Not to mention the issues with my wireless Logitech mouse and keyboard.

This is my work laptop so it's cutting into my productivity.  I love the laptop since it's so light and I travel but I cannot stand the docking station.

Any suggestions on something to run my dual monitor setup and wireless mouse and keyboard?  I'm desperate!

Thanks in advance!!

4 Posts

August 11th, 2015 03:00

Having problems with the Dell Dell 3.0 Super Speed "Docking Station" displays ok on laptop screen but there seems to be a lag int he display on external screen..nothing seems to fix it..

2 Posts

August 12th, 2015 01:00

Thanks,

I was having a problem with the Super Speed USB Dock's VGA display port.  Updating the driverfrom the link you posted solved the problem.  Everything else was working, but the display stopped after about 6 months, and recovery did not solve the problem. I was about to seek another solution, so you saved me time and money.

1 Message

September 3rd, 2015 01:00

Hello,

I have a M3800 connected to DisplayLink Superspeed USB 3.0 docking station. The docking station ethernet and display on external screens is completely failing and I coannot find any solution. 

I bought my computer and the docking station in May 2014. I connected two external screens to the docking station, one through HDMI and the other through the VGA/DVI adaptator. Everything first worked well but in July, I lost the display on the two external screens as well as the ethernet connection through the docking station. Only the USB ports were working. 

Dell changed the docking station under guarantee. Less than one year later, I got the problem again but as I was in North America for several months, I couldn't obtain a new replacement of the docking station.

I called Dell last week. They first suggested me to update the driver but it didn't solve the issue. They then suspected a problem with the OS (Windows 8.1) and suggested me to reinstall it. As I use my computer professionally, I don't have 3 days to loose to reinstall all my softwares. In addition, there is no guarantee that this will bring a stable solution.

I cannot understand why the problem is with the computer and not with the docking station or its driver.

I see a lot of users are really upset with this component for more than one year. Why does Dell do nothing to solve the issues? When bying my next computers, I will seriously consider concurrent offers. This docking station is simply a big fail .

Don't buy it!!!

PS. If someone has a stable solution to solve those problems, please share it!

2 Posts

September 4th, 2015 17:00

Updating the driver to DisplayLink Manager Version: 7.9.296.0 immediately solved my problem.  I got the driver from the link in the post prior to my last one on this thread.  From time to time, it still does not detect the second display on startup, but I just open the Video Setup screen and go about my business, and within a couple of minutes the second display starts working again.  I can't prove it, but I think the problem is related to recent updates to USB drivers for Win 8.1 from MS.

Hope this helps.

No Events found!