Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 27th, 2010 17:00

Dell Technical support is weak and their parts prices are outrageous

I just spent quite a bit of time trying to get the Dell Parts Representative to understand what I was looking for.  I need a 2nd HDD Caddy, Interposer and screws for a Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop.  After quite a bit of waiting and explaining, I finally got to the parts I needed, once I looked up the parts in the internet and found them cheaper elsewhere. Part of the trouble here is the outsourced technical support, and trying to get people who do not speak English natively to understand what you are asking for. I do not feel as though my needs are met by people who fail to understand what I am asking for.

I do not call technical support and expect that the people on the phone have no clue about the products they supposedly are going to help me with.  Nor do I expect the prices from Dell to be almost twice the price of the parts I find online, once I finally get the support personnel to find the product.

It's like buying a car from GM and having to buy your parts from Toyota because the GM parts cost too much, with someone from Russia trying to assist you, with no knowledge of the car in question.

I am very disappointed in the service I received from Dell and I am troubled that I purchased this system over an Asus Barebones Laptop.

I have not yet purchased this 2nd HDD caddy in an effort to see how Dell responds to this complaint, if they provide me more than just inflated prices and zero support for the system they sold to me.

It will weigh heavily on me for my next purchase.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

March 27th, 2010 17:00

Get real.

Tech support is outsourced not just at Dell but at every single major PC mfr.

I had my Honda's front fender replaced. Genuine Honda parts cost 2x than the generic fender that I chose to use. That's how the system works.

7 Posts

March 27th, 2010 20:00

So what you are saying is, because other companies do it, I should just accept it?  I don't think so.

Blind acceptance is not a good thing.  It takes what little power the consumer has left.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

March 27th, 2010 22:00

You are perfectly within your rights not to accept it. You have very little alternative because Dell's competitors do the same thing.

The consumer has spoken. That's why we have outsourced support. That's why Walmart is doing so well. Absolute lowest price is all the consumer cares about.

7 Posts

March 28th, 2010 00:00

But you are so wrong!  I do have alternatives.

Walmart is not the most inexpensive.  You can find anything Walmart sells online cheaper but you have to wait for it.  I buy most things online, for less. 

I did not expect Dell's price to be higher on something they manufacture themselves or commission for manufacture by other companies. You see, Walmart is a commercial retailer, and Dell is a manufacturer, that also retails. There’s a big distinction between the two there chum. But I expect that this difference has eluded you.

In theory, Dell should have these components in bulk because they produce computers every day using these components. In order to turn a profit, they must keep things competitive with rival companies and must buy or manufacture in bulk to offset costs. Dell COULD therefore provide them at a discount because they receive them cheaper in mass quantity.

I expect that given this little piece of economic fact, I should not have to pay increased profit margins to the company that makes or commissions the product because they SHOULD have the cheapest prices due to the laws of supply and demand.

If I as a consumer see that they are charging too much for the items and offer me poor customer service, I should not voice this?

Not only do I have the choice on my next purchase, I can also let others know.  I did come to this forum looking for answers to this problem, as will others.

You can choose to accept what meager help they choose give you, but that is not enough for me.

Oh, and thanks for the bump dude.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 28th, 2010 04:00

All notebooks are contract manufactured by one of  a handful of companies - two of them produce more than three quarters of all systems.  The name on the outside has nothing to do with the  actual manufacturer.

If you know of a computer vendor that sells parts for less than Dell does, by all means - tell us.  The $400-500 Dell charges for a mainboard is half what HP, Apple or Toshiba charge for their parts.  And NO ONE includes a comprehensive support package with the system any longer unless it's a very high end niche brand - even Apple charges extra for software support after 90 days.

Just as when you buy an airline seat other than in first class these days, you pay for food, baggage, etc., separately, when you buy a new notebook, you get basic support -- everything else costs extra.

You CAN get better support with Dell - or Apple - or HP -- but you PAY for it.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

March 28th, 2010 05:00

But you are so wrong!  I do have alternatives.

Walmart is not the most inexpensive.  You can find anything Walmart sells online cheaper but you have to wait for it.  I buy most things online, for less. 

I did not expect Dell's price to be higher on something they manufacture themselves or commission for manufacture by other companies. You see, Walmart is a commercial retailer, and Dell is a manufacturer, that also retails. There’s a big distinction between the two there chum. But I expect that this difference has eluded you.

In theory, Dell should have these components in bulk because they produce computers every day using these components. In order to turn a profit, they must keep things competitive with rival companies and must buy or manufacture in bulk to offset costs. Dell COULD therefore provide them at a discount because they receive them cheaper in mass quantity.

I expect that given this little piece of economic fact, I should not have to pay increased profit margins to the company that makes or commissions the product because they SHOULD have the cheapest prices due to the laws of supply and demand.

If I as a consumer see that they are charging too much for the items and offer me poor customer service, I should not voice this?

Not only do I have the choice on my next purchase, I can also let others know.  I did come to this forum looking for answers to this problem, as will others.

You can choose to accept what meager help they choose give you, but that is not enough for me.

Oh, and thanks for the bump dude.

Another delusional ignorant consumer.

7 Posts

March 28th, 2010 19:00

OMG! It truly amazes me how you guys support these corporate clowns. Even when I supply you with facts, you attack me. I'm not the bad guy here genius. 

There are trolls are here!

Although, with 3,500 + posts to your credit, and the other person with a crazy amount of posts, you are either in bed with Dell, or seriously troll these boards. In any case, it does not sit well that Dell allows you to attempt to squelch people dissatisfied with their support and bury the facts of them overcharging on goods.

I guess I am delusional and ignorant when I expect the company to adequately support what they sold to me.

My Economics instructor should be fired! He told me things that apparently are not true. Like that the consumer has the last say in matters. He did not figure in the trolls I wager.

2nd post due to naughty word that was not even a cuss word. 

7 Posts

March 29th, 2010 11:00

I thought I'd add my signature.

6 Posts

March 29th, 2010 13:00

I've been dealing with them hours on the phone, waiting and then the answer machine poped up and I got disconnected.

7 Posts

March 29th, 2010 19:00

I hope you get better support than I did, once you finally get through.

I can't believe Dell has not even acknowledged my posts.

They truly do not care if we get bad service I think.

18 Posts

March 29th, 2010 20:00

Hello Sir,

Its a known fact that tele support is outsourced.  Also is the fact that most of the manufacturers are just buying products from other oe and assemble and sell.   Nowadays computers have become more reliable  and how do you mafufacturer to surrvie after selling you a PC.  They want continuous revenue so they sell spare at a highly inflated cost.  A $10 oe  product  when partnumberd by a  integrater/assmber will become atleast $20. 

Moral is if you know where to buy and how to fix and your system is out of warranty then go for OE.

7 Posts

March 30th, 2010 14:00

Yes, outsourcing is a problem these days, but I believe even outsourcing demands a certain degree of quality.  As I mentioned, the person I spoke with was unable to comprehend my needs.  My argument there was the difficulty I faced in trying to get someone in a technical job to understand the components of the product they are hired to support. It should not fall to the consumer to train the person on the phone on their job.  I could have done better with an automated line because this guy didn't understand anything.

I must digress to the 2nd point because it is more and more apparent to me that Dell does not intend to give reasonable support for upgrades to their products.

I normally build my own computers and therefore do my own upgrades, and to be frank, this is the first time I have ever contacted Dell in an attempt to upgrade an existing system. I had been intending on going with an Asus barebones laptop, but instead chose this Dell.  It is apparent now that was a mistake.

Dell has not even acknowledged my issues here, but they were quick to kick one of my posts because I used the word freak (the non-infinitive form) and it was considered offensive.

My job requires me to purchase automation, and I can safely say this little incident has made a significant impact on my trends.  My last purchase was for 357 laptops.  Dell will not see my business return for this.  I do not care to be ignored, nor taken advantage of.

No Events found!