Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

TG

May 25th, 2015 22:00

Dell Touchpad Driver Issue

I purchased a laptop for my wife this past week (Ispiron 15 5548).  Along with the purchase I got her a wireless mouse because she is more comfortable using a mouse rather than the touchpad.  I have a fair bit of experience with Dell laptops, so I knew that the trackpad could be disabled automatically in the touchpad driver when a USB pointing device was detected.  When I went to do this, I discovered that the Dell TouchPad driver wasn't installed.  No problem, I downloaded it and installed it.  Now the Dell Touchpad tab shows up under Mouse Properties, but if I click on it or on "Click to change Dell Touchpad settings"", I see the HDD LED become active for a few seconds and then nothing, no window opens, no error message, nothing.  

I've tried to uninstall and re-install, install as Administrator, but nothing seems to fix this problem.  It appears to me that this is a driver/software issue.  Has anyone else run into this behavior?  Like I said I've used Dell laptops at various jobs and never ran into this issue before.

Edit (07/07/2015):  So not only has no one from Dell responded to this, but they've taken down the Dell Touchpad driver.  The only driver left under Mouse, Keyboard & Input Devices is the Intel Realsense driver.

It would be nice to get some sort of response from Dell saying they are aware of the issue, working on it, etc.  Things will only get worse here in a months time when we are all upgrading to Windows 10.

1 Message

May 26th, 2015 16:00

Having same problem.  What can we do to resolve this.

May 28th, 2015 22:00

Bump.

2 Posts

June 10th, 2015 11:00

I have the same problem. I bought the Inspiron 15 5548 with Windows 7, touchpad software worked fine. I then upgraded to Windows 8.1, reinstalled all drivers and now the touchpad control panel will not show.

June 10th, 2015 15:00

I am having the same problem!  I received a brand new laptop yesterday and went to use it and discovered that the Touchpad driver wasn't already installed.  So I found and installed from the Dell support site Input_Driver_G9CKK_WN_18.1.27.51_A00.

Now on the Mouse settings I get a link that says "Click to change Dell Touchpad settings".  When I click the link I see an hourglass for a few seconds and then nothing happens. I found the actual program files in C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP.  There I found a DellTouchpad.exe and DellTouchpad35.exe, that both do nothing when I run them.  There is also DellTpad.exe that brings up the touchpad menu but when I click an option it crashes and I get a message that says "Touchpad Control Panel Application has stopped working." 

I have tried uninstalling, rebooting, reinstalling the driver over and over. The installation log indicates that it finished successfully. Please fix this, I really need this touchpad to work. :(

June 10th, 2015 15:00

I'd like to add that I also have the Inspiron 15 5548 and I have updated to the latest BIOS from the Dell support site, and the touchpad problem continues to occur.

June 17th, 2015 20:00

Well I spent another 8 hours or so on this trying to fix it today and no luck!  This website is so confusing too, I don't see any way to contact tech support except here in the forum?  

I tried a full system restore back to how the computer was when I got it.  The touchpad will only work for moving the mouse and clicking but not scrolling.  I really need the touchpad to be able to scroll up and down word processing documents & web pages, etc.   Every other laptop I've ever owned I can run my finger up and down the right edge of the touch pad to scroll, until this one?!

It's really unfortunate too because otherwise this laptop would be nearly perfect. But I NEED to be able to scroll with the touchpad.  I guess with no response to a problem apparently many are having here, I will need to be returning this laptop to the store. :(

1 Message

June 17th, 2015 22:00

i already had the same problem and i resolved it by installing drivers from ma-config.com !

June 18th, 2015 16:00

Thank you for the suggestion, I gave it a try.  I was not familiar with that site, but it seems as intuitive to use (and lacking in options) as this Dell support site is.  I was able to get it to scan my system but the only drivers it proposed for me to update were graphics, network card, and other types but no suggestions came up for Mouse.   It already saw that I had the two mouse drivers installed, the HID-compliant (which I think is the usb?) and the Microsoft mouse (which I think is the touchpad?)  But it gave me no suggestions for a Synaptics driver and I see no way to specifically download it.  If I try to uninstall the existing drivers I have it asks me to reboot and then just reinstalls the same two drivers again.  But thank you for the reply, nice to get at least some sort of response.

1 Message

July 4th, 2015 12:00

I'm having the exact same problem with installing the Synaptics driver but it crashing when I open the DellTPad interface. Need a solution. Need to scroll :(

1 Message

September 3rd, 2015 09:00

I have the same problem, on Windows 8.1 and 10 as well.

November 2nd, 2015 17:00

Anyone find an answer?  I have Windows 8.1 DELL Inspiron 5000 Series and have spent almost 8 hours looking for an answer today :(  The thing is:  I somehow got it to work a few months back (magic?) but now it started happening again suddenly.  All I've done is installed Windows important updates and none said anything about Dell Touchpad. :( :( :( :(

No Events found!