Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 19th, 2013 10:00

Dell Vostro 131: Battery not charging, says its plugged in but not charging (@60%)

I see this problem has been discussed for years but I saw no specific ref to the Vostro 131.  For other models there were solutions related to replacement of the BIOS.  Is this also possible with the V131 and, if so, what is the alternative BIOS?

thanks

1.5K Posts

June 19th, 2013 11:00

Hi RickSee,

Yes you may update the latest BIOS, please refer to the link: http://dell.to/11M0EOW.

Keep me posted with the results. I will be glad to assist you.

2 Posts

June 19th, 2013 13:00

New version of BIOS (v06) provided, downloaded and installed but makes no difference....!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 19th, 2013 15:00

Check the BIOS setup - is the AC adapter detected or listed as "unknown"?  F2 at powerup.

If it's unknown, the battery will not charge.  Try another Dell OEM (NOT third party) AC adapter - if that doesn't solve the problem,  replace the power jack

www.parts-people.com/index.php

and if that doesn't solve the problem, replace the mainboard.

1 Message

May 24th, 2014 17:00

I know the reason. Battery was charged only for 60% because when voltage on battery has more than 12.8V controller in battery has stoped charging to not destroy cell. My battery after 25 months charge only to 32%. It is of course planned obsolescence to buy new battery.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 24th, 2014 17:00

Not really - it has more to do with the chemistry of a lithium ion battery, not the design.  Lithium ion batteries are inherently fragile - they'll run 300-500 charge cycles or about two years before they won't hold a sufficient charge.  Smaller batteries often survive for less time - in the last week I've encountered three friends with iPhones -- all between 13-16 months old -- that need new batteries.

No Events found!