Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 7th, 2012 05:00

Dell Vostro 3550 USB PORT NOT WORKING

Hi all,

I recently purchased the Dell Vostro 3550 (2 days back) and i just figured out that only one of the 3 usb ports are working.

1 USB PORT AT BACK (USB 3) not working

1 USB PORT RIGHT (USB 3) not working

1 USB LEFT (USB 2) works

1 USB LEFT (USB 2.0/ SATA) WORKS

Why not the other. I even updated BIOS. HELP PLEASE

October 7th, 2012 05:00

Hi,

I would recommend you to try the following steps to check the USB ports. Firstly I would advise you to uninstall and reinstall the USB root hubs from the device manager. Please follow the steps below to reinstall the USB root hubs:

•  Click Start, type device manager in start search and press Enter.
  •  Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.
  •  Right-click every device under the Universal Serial Bus controllers node, and then click Uninstall to remove them one at a time.
  •  Restart the computer and check.

If the USB ports are still not working, please click on the link mentioned below and download the USB 3.0 host controller.

http://dell.to/PKU06y

Hope this helps. please reply for any further questions.

3 Posts

October 7th, 2012 06:00

Thank Abhishek..

I did uninstall and reinstall but it didnot work

One question. USB 3.0, can it not run usb 2.0 devices or things?

3 Posts

October 7th, 2012 06:00

The other link you gave did not help

October 7th, 2012 08:00

Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

The USB 3.0 slots are backward compatible. It will recognize USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 as well.

I would like to know the following :

• What sort of device are you trying to connect?
  • Please try checking this slots, with any other USB device.
I would also like you to update the chipset driver and the system BIOS from the links below.
Once the BIOS is updated the system will restart, check if the issue is resolved. I am adding you as a friend; please accept my friend request and send me a personal message with the system Service Tag so that I can check the system details and help you accordingly.

Hope this helps. Please reply for any further queries.

October 10th, 2012 04:00

Hi,

I just wanted to confirm about the USB ports, did the driver and BIOS installation resolve the issue. In case you need any further help please send me a private message with the system service tag so that I can check the system configuration details and help you.

Please reply in case you have any further questions.

1 Message

October 25th, 2012 00:00

Hi Abhishek

I have one USB port not working as well on my Vostro 3550. I followed your advice by updating the 3 drivers: USB 3.00, Chipset and Bios. No change.

Anything further I should do?

Wayne

5 Posts

March 24th, 2013 03:00

Hi abhishek , i have a question please if u can help me ,

im searching a laptop that have e-sata and usb 3.0 if will have and msata support will be great , i found only dell vostro 3360 have that only usb 3.0 and msata

can u give me a help advice about any model laptop that have this 3 ways futures ? e-sata , usb 3.0 and msata support to can use msata ssd ?

anyway , the dell vostro 3550 can alow boot from usb 3.0 port ? outside the OS ? without to install the driver ?

i mean is there any laptop that have 3.0 instaled on bios motherboard ? even to alow to boot from usb 3.0 and to work at speed of 2.0 ? and after OS is loaded , and also driver instaled, to work in full speed of usb 3.0 ?

thanks im waiting your sincerly answer.

help from a profesionist

thanks again in advance

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 24th, 2013 04:00

Once Intel released the Ivy Bridge CPUs, the chipsets gained full USB 3.0 support (vs. the add-on USB 3.0 controller in earlier systems) -- so most newer systems can boot from USB 3.0 now.

5 Posts

March 24th, 2013 08:00

please give me more details , do u mean about sandy bridge cpu ? its same with this ivy bridge cpu ??

can you also give me some model example that use msata mini pcie slot for ssd ?

i know dell precision m6500 m6400 m4500 , and dell vostro 3360 have this future ,

but what other models have this new tehnology ?

thanks ejn63

5 Posts

March 24th, 2013 12:00

hi EJN63 , can u tell me  please, if sandy bridge support and alow boot from usb 3.0  outside the OS

to be detectable and to start booting from it ? even if it will work on usb 2.0 speed interface and after os is loaded and driver instaled to grow the speed at full speed of 3.0 , thanks

oh and by the way i see dell vostro v131 and dell vostro 3550 they are Sandy bridge , it will work this laptops to boot from 3.0 ?

sincerly thanks

5 Posts

March 24th, 2013 13:00

i found this documentation :  news.cnet.com/.../intel-delivers-usb-3.0-in-its-chips-finally

i see there they said  both of them  sandy bridge and ivy bridge are accepted ( driver integrated on bios ) ? like old usb 2.0

i ask someone about boot from usb 3.0  from a dell vostro v131 and he told me its work ... but i dont have so much trust ( couse its someone from wich i want to buy a laptop and is possible to lie me , only to buy the laptop )

please confirm me , if  driver usb 3.0 its also integrated on  motherboard chipset of sandy bridge ( dell vostro v131 or dell vostro 3550 )

thank you for your time and help

1 Message

April 25th, 2013 20:00

I have a similar problem. I have a Vostro 3550 on which I just reinstalled Windows7. The back and right side USB ports do not work at all. I have tried both USB2.0 and USB3.0 devices. An external USB2.0 drive would not even power up.

I have updated the BIOS and installed the drivers you sited above. The ports are still not working.

I can send my service tag number if that would help.

9 Posts

December 30th, 2013 00:00

The back and right side USB ports do not work at all. I get "power surge on USB port" but nothing is plugged in... 

2 Posts

April 22nd, 2014 11:00

I have the same problem but for the USB 3.0 from dell Vostro V131.

In the drivers download area I got the Texas Instruments TUSB73x0 Host controller, v.1.12.14.0, A02 (TI USB 3.0 Win7 driver A01 release), at first time execution this uninstall all the USB  ports, and on second time execution this install as new all the USB ports. Then it works for me. I hope this help you.

1 Message

December 11th, 2014 12:00

i have got this problem

bios, chipset and usb drivers are the latest ones and nothing happens

very annoying ...

No Events found!