Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 30th, 2013 09:00

Dell Vostro 3750 Fingerprint Reader Driver for Windows 8

Last year I purchased a dell vostro 3750 laptop which has a built in fingerprint reader. However, I have been looking for drivers for this that are compatible with windows 8 and the dell website doesn't appear to show any. Will the windows 7 driver that is available work, and if not is it possible to get a driver that will?

July 30th, 2014 08:00

I was able to solve it by doing the following.

1. Install the validity driver software which is available by browsing the Windows 7 support for Vostro 3750 or you can download it from here:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=CJ66K&fileId=2731100279&osCode=W764&productCode=vostro-3750&languageCode=EN&categoryId=SY

2. Install the Digital Persona fingerprint software 5.20, then update it to 6.x. You can download the software from the second post located here:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/4677/t/19473435.aspx

After that you should be able to configure the fingers and start using it. Make sure you download the correct files, I guess you have a 64bit OS. Let me know if you need more help.

28 Posts

August 4th, 2014 08:00

Finally managed!

I gave up with the dumb stupid Dell checker. It finally reported that an error had occurred, and that I should contact Dell. Yeah right.

I did some more searching, and found this page, that has links to version 4 of the DigitalPersona software. That installed without any problem at all, and I can now swipe my finger to log on.

So, if you get the fingerprint sensor drivers for Win7, and run setup.exe in compatibility mode (right click it to choose this), then it should install. Then install version 4 of DigitalPersona and you should be set to go.

Hope this helps someone.

807 Posts

July 30th, 2013 09:00

If there are no Windows 8 drivers available on Dell's site use the Windows 7 (same bit version) driver and install in compatibility mode

28 Posts

January 26th, 2014 10:00

I know this is a few months old, but I just upgraded my Vostro 3750 lap top to Win8.1, and wanted the fingerprint reader drivers.

There aren't any on the Dell site for Win8, and when I tried the ones for Win7, I got an error message saying that they were only supported on Vista and Win7 (maybe XP as well, can't remember, either way, didn't let me install on Win8).

Any ideas? I find it quite hard to believe that they still haven't provided drivers for Win8.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

28 Posts

February 3rd, 2014 10:00

Anyone?

July 30th, 2014 00:00

Did you find a solution?

28 Posts

July 30th, 2014 07:00

Nope, never found anything.

28 Posts

August 4th, 2014 07:00

I was able to solve it by doing the following.

1. Install the validity driver software which is available by browsing the Windows 7 support for Vostro 3750 or you can download it from here:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=CJ66K&fileId=2731100279&osCode=W764&productCode=vostro-3750&languageCode=EN&categoryId=SY

Thanks for the reply, but it failed at the first stage. When I tried to install the validity driver, it told me that it's only available for XP, Vista or Win7. As I'm using Win8, it wouldn't install.

2. Install the Digital Persona fingerprint software 5.20, then update it to 6.x. You can download the software from the second post located here:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/4677/t/19473435.aspx

After that you should be able to configure the fingers and start using it. Make sure you download the correct files, I guess you have a 64bit OS. Let me know if you need more help.

The table in that second post said that if you've done a fresh install of Win8 (which I have), then you need to download the fingerprint sensor drivers, and gives a link to the page. However, if you look at the page, there isn't anything listed for Win8, and the fingerprint sensor driver for Win7 is th eone you linked above, which doesn't install on Win8.

Any ideas? Did you install the driver? If so, how?

Yes I am using 64-bit Win8 by the way.

Thanks again.

28 Posts

Ah, tried installing it by running the setup.exe in compatibility mode, and it didn't complain. So, first stage done, now the next problem...

I now can't install the DigitalPersona software, as it tells me it can only be installed as an upgrade. I guess this is what the words "DPPF 5.2 must be installed to use this update" meant.

Do you know what this is, and how I find it? I looked through the entire list of downloads for both Win7 and Win8, but couldn't find anything named either DPPF or Dell Personal.

Thanks again.

28 Posts

Back again!

I tried going to My Downloads, where I had to switch web browser, because Dell are still under the outdated belief that the entire web runs on Internet Explorer! I logged in, loaded the add-in that was to scan my system, saw the "Examining your computer please wait..." and waited, and waited and... well it looks like it's dies to me. It just sits there not doing anything.

I tried restarting IE, but the same thing happened. Been sitting there for ages, not doing anything, and the little circle that's supposed to spin around is static.

Any ideas? I don't know why they make it so hard.

Thanks

Excellent, I was about to fresh install windows 8 again in order to guide you through. I'm glad you were able to solve it.

No Events found!