Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 25th, 2012 16:00

Dell XPS 12 Touch screen stop working when flipping screen

Hi,

So I bought the XPS 12 a month ago, and it is fantastic! However, I have been experiencing a problem: 

When I flip the screen to go into tablet mode, after a short while, the touch stops working. The screen still shows what it's supposed to, but it won't register my fingers (or anyone elses...) 

I have seen another post about a similar problem at the forum (http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/p/19477009/20235618.aspx), but the solutions given (update BIOS, update chipset and video drivers, calibrating the touch screen) didn't solve my problem.

Are there any other solutions available, or is this a problem only I am experiencing?  

Sincerely,

Ben

13 Posts

February 13th, 2013 16:00

Under power there is just an option of power plans: Maximize battery life, Balance, or Maximize performance.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

What options are available if you choose the balanced power plan?

TB

12 Posts

I don't see any options to set for the power plans.

12 Posts

I don't see Panel Self Refresh either.  My driver version is 9.17.10.2932, and the Intel website says it is current.

5 Posts

February 14th, 2013 12:00

no progress with resolving the issue but the replacement machine arrived today and no sign of the same problem i am happy to say. fingers crossed! 

6 Posts

February 14th, 2013 15:00

Good luck to you. My replacement shows the same problem since the first day I received it. I have decided to return them. Hope you lucky than me.

7 Posts

February 14th, 2013 16:00

Terry, you are seriously confused. Panel Self Refresh(PSR) is a exclusive feature available on the next generation platform based on the 4th Generation Core processor code-named Haswell.

11 Posts

February 15th, 2013 03:00

This is seriously getting old. Still no fix.

3 Posts

February 15th, 2013 09:00

The problem for me happens periodically when I don't flip the screen. I'll use it in laptop mode, but also the touchscreen, and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it is even delayed. For example, on the Windows 8 start screen, I'll swipe from right to left and do nothing else. The screen will sometimes respond 30 or more seconds later without me even touching anything else. I think I'll be returning this machine if there's no fix soon.

3 Posts

February 15th, 2013 18:00

Has been about 6~7 weeks since I started using the XPS-12 (and posted my first complain about the touchscreen problem here). Here's my update: the problem got better. The touchscreen still, from time to time, stop responding to touch input, but this is happening less and less frequently. But it still occurs. I have not make any changes except keeping up with whatever software updates that are delivered through Windows 8's normal channel. (I saw some discussion on whether Win8 vs. Win8 Pro makes a difference. FWIW, I ordered the machine with Windows 8 Pro, so Windows 8 Pro is what I have been using all along.) I would like to check my Dell firmware/BIOS version ... question is: How do I check what version of Dell firmware/BIOS I currently have on the XPS-12?

12 Posts

February 15th, 2013 19:00

I think if you go into System through the control panel, it is shown under system information.

39 Posts

February 16th, 2013 14:00

I don't believe you can see the BIOS version from there, but you can get in simply by hitting F2 on startup and looking at the version listed. CPU-Z also shows BIOS version in the board information.

So I'm currently on my third XPS-12. The first had a number of issues including the touchscreen bug, the second out of the box had issues with screen artifacting, and the third has been perfect for a couple of weeks. Until today, when the touchscreen stopped responding. C'est la vie, I guess. I got a commitment when I took the third unit that I would be able to take a full refund if these issues recurred, and I guess I'm going to have to call that in now. It's extremely disappointing, because in many ways the system is perfect for me. But a touchscreen which randomly fails to work is unacceptable. I remain convinced that the issue is because of bad software rather than a hardware flaw, because sleeping and restarting the system fixes it instantly. But there are no touchscreen drivers to be downloaded, and as far as I can tell no good way to uninstall/reinstall or check what's going on with that piece of hardware. There's nothing in the event log from when the touchscreen stops working - I just checked. In fact I had 20 minutes error free prior to the touchscreen issue. I wish Dell would figure out what this problem is, because I continue to believe that the hardware is a winner. But there's no way I'm going to accept imperfect software implementation, after the product's been on the market for 4 months and no fix nor acknowledgement of a systematic defect in a very expensive flagship device.

So back it goes, I guess. What a great shame.

12 Posts

February 16th, 2013 18:00

I am so sorry to hear this.  It truly is a shame.  I notice there was a Windows update today related to the Intel graphics, and wonder if that might help.  I really don't want to give mine up -- if I even could, since I bought it from a third-party vendor.

12 Posts

February 17th, 2013 11:00

Dell had told me my next step would be to reinstall the OS, which I've been trying to avoid, because I'm not convinced that's the problem.  I would also like to hear if others have tried this, and if it helped.

39 Posts

February 17th, 2013 11:00

Well, as always, YMMV. It remains surprising to me that there's no touchscreen driver on the download page - if anyone's done a full format and reinstall, I would be interested in their experience of how the touchscreen works. If you look at the running processes in task manager, there is a "Atmel Touchscreen Control" piece of software running, and Atmel seems to manufacture touchscreens, I assume they made the panel. I remain fairly convinced this is a driver issue: when shutting down you'll sometimes see the touches that you tried to make when the touchscreen became nonresponseive flash across the screen as the shutdown occurs. Something is preventing the touches which are registering on the hardware from reaching the OS. That sounds like a software and now hardware issue. I wish I could wait, because I love the hardware. But until someone tells me they're working on a fix I'm just not willing to do so.

I hope the folks who can't manage a return get an eventual fix, though. I'm fairly sure it's possible.

No Events found!