Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 21st, 2015 18:00

Dell XPS 13 (2015) defective laptop

I purchased a dell xps 13 (2015) i3 @ 2.1GHz base model laptop and noticed it was performing extremely slow, upwards of 30 seconds to open folders etc. so i checked the cpu clock speed and it was not going over .6GHz, so i contacted technical support and they sent me a replacement that had the exact same issue. 4 weeks later from my initial purchase instead of returning the laptop i listened to the technicians and waited for them to get back to me with a fix.

i talked with the Dell technicians tonight and they told me it won't make sense to replace the computer a second time, he said that there was a defect with that model and their engineering team was working on fixing it.  i told them that i have been waiting for the past 4 weeks and i am not willing to wait any more, i was sold a defective product, please return the laptop and they told me i cannot return it because i am 1 day over the 30 day return policy.  The only reason i am over the 30 day return policy is because since day one when i reported the issue they kept stringing me along telling me over and over to wait while they get a fix, while i have had an unusable laptop on my desk, that i have all but used for less than a day.

Has anyone else experienced this issue and who can i contact about getting my money back?

511 Posts

February 21st, 2015 21:00

Search Power Options and look at your Dell (or active) plan. Scroll down until you see "Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework Settings". Click the +. You should now see four options. Click the + next to the "Config TDP Level" change the value from 15W 0.6GHz to 15W 2.2GHz(or whatever your CPU speed/ option is). See if that works.

1 Message

February 27th, 2015 08:00

I suffered the same issue and this fix worked instantly.  I really appreciated this advice and would suggest that it gets stickied or voted up somehow as I am SURE that this issue affects many people.  It seems odd that the default setting would be set to something that would throttle performance, but I suppose that's how they claim the great battery life.

Again THANK YOU and sticky this post!

4 Posts

February 22nd, 2015 09:00

you are amazing, 4 darn weeks of not being able to use my computer and wasting over 30 hours on the phone with dell advanced technicians that could not figure something so simple out, thank you so much, I though i was going to have to go waste money and buy another laptop.

4 Posts

February 27th, 2015 10:00

Ya i think so, since i switched that settings to the regular processor speed my battery life is around 7 hours now, very disappointing seeing as that was one of the major deciding factors for me purchasing this laptop and i know it probably is the same reason for other people as well.

July 20th, 2015 19:00

The DELL XPS 13 ULTRABOOK IS A LEMON. It overheats,  too hot to touch. It lags and drags.  I had the exact same (dis) service with Dell tech support and Microsoft tech support (the store who sold the $1500 piece of ***). Both sleazy companies convinced me that it just needed an update, a bit of tweaking. Dell offered to replace the computer exactly 1 day after the 30 day return period lapsed. They sent a replacement computer that has the same problem.

July 20th, 2015 19:00

Yes!! The computer is a lemon. It overheats,  too hot to touch. It lags and drags.  I had the exact same (dis) service with Dell tech support and Microsoft tech support (the store who sold the $1500 piece of ***). Dell offered to replace the computer exactly 1 day after the 30 day return period lapsed. They sent a replacement computer that has the same problem.

No Events found!