Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 30th, 2015 13:00

Dell XPS 13 9350 USB-C port and external storage

Hello everybody,

I have an external USB 3.1 enclosure (Vantec Nexstar USB 3.1, model # NST-270A31-BK) that I am connecting to the USB-C (Thunderbird 3) port of my XPS 13 9350 laptop.  The drive does not start even after using two different USB 3.1 cables.  I have installed all the USB and Thunderbird drivers from Dell's website and activated the port in BIOS, but still have no luck getting the drive to run.

Thing is, when I plug the drive into one of the standard USB ports using a USB 3.0 cable, the drive boots up and is recognised by the laptop with no problem.  So if my troubleshooting was done correctly, the USB enclosure and cabling is not faulty, so the problem must lie with the USB-C port.  Has anybody successfully used the USB-C port to access external storage with any luck?

Cheers,

Kokanee

44 Posts

June 24th, 2016 11:00

In another thread ("XPS 13 9350 - SSD on USB C 3.1 - very unstable/unusable" - I can't add links), the following fixed my problem using a USB 3.0 HDD with the Dell USB-C to HDMI/VGA/Ethernet/USB3.1 adapter:

... the USB-C and WiFi adapter are somewhat related hardware and voltage wise. If you go into the advance options of the WiFi adapter and change the WiFi output to 75%, it fixes a lot of the problems with the connecting and disconnecting USB-C issues. Lowering the output to 75% does not affect your connectivity on wireless networks. 

My HDD kept connecting/disconnecting when using the adapter but this fix took care of it.

1 Message

June 1st, 2016 01:00

I am using XPS 13 9350. I have a Kingston Duo Flash Drive which has both USB C and USB 3.0 connectors. When I first bought the notebook, it was able to detect the flash drive, however transfer was very slow. After a series of driver updates, it can no longer detect the drive. However, the drive works when I use the USB 3.0 connector to plug it in the USB 3.0 drive. So I suspect it is the USB C port of my computer which is not working.

I have restored the computer to factory image and redownloaded the drivers, no luck getting it to work. Right now I am intending to send the laptop to Dell to check out.

Do you have any luck making the USB C port work?

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 2nd, 2016 16:00

AdamZCY

I may be able to help.  When plugging in the Kingston drive to the USB 3.0 port, did you try the one on the left or the right?  Did the Kingston work on either port or only the one on the right?

The reason I ask is that the port on the right is the power share port, and if the drive only work on that port, then this could well be a power issue with the flash drive. It seems unlikely but it was one of the first things that i thought of. 

I will be shooting you a friends request  if you find that no devices work via the USB C connector. 

TB

15 Posts

September 3rd, 2016 00:00

A very good observation from you, Sparksdls!   I run multiple external drives from my computers in my office. I was having the problem of drives appearing then disappearing, even in the middle of data operations.  So I disabled the WiFi and now have no problems at all.  (reducing it to 75% seemed to do very little with 3 or 4 external hard drives attached).

My configuration is: I have a Dell docking solution using the Thunderbolt port to drive an external monitor and RJ45 networking.  It has a non-powered USB3.0 port which I attach to a commercial 12 port  powered USB hub which my drives all plug into.  Everything working fine unless my Dell docking solution (which happened once)  So, for backup in case the Dell docking thing goes south I purchased an external WiFi dongle and plugged it into a second powered USB hub.  This way I still have WiFi network backup for that case.

Of course when I'm away from the office I have no external drives attached and can enable the native WiFi.

With the above configuration I am able to attach 5-10 external drives to the XPS 13 9350 with no problem.  

2 Posts

September 8th, 2016 11:00

would you kindly describe to me how to change the wifi output to 75%? Im on Windows 10 Home. thanks.

44 Posts

September 8th, 2016 11:00

In Device Manager, under Network adapters open with double-click Dell Wireless 1820A.  In the popup window, select Advanced tab.  Scroll down to Power output and select 75% in the Value window.  Click OK to close and you're good to go.  I don't remember that a restart was necessary for the change to take effect.

15 Posts

September 8th, 2016 12:00

Be aware:  apparently the power to the WiFi and Thunderbolt port are shared.  I had to completely shut down my onboard WiFi in order to support about 10 peripheral devices on the Thunderbolt.  This is a minor flaw in the XPS 13 9350; I say minor because when I'm not in my office there are no peripherals and the Wifi can be enabled at 100%

15 Posts

September 8th, 2016 12:00

Setting the WiFi to 75% will only work if you only have a few periferals.  You can get WiFi back in office by buying an inexpensive powered external Wifi hub and WiFi dongle.

September 25th, 2016 17:00

Thank you so much!!! This worked!! I was going through Type C and Thunderbolt 3 cables left and right!

15 Posts

September 26th, 2016 04:00

it's the only real problem I've found with this laptop so far.  

No Events found!