Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 29th, 2015 22:00

Dell XPS 13 9350 touchpad two finger scrolling "jumps"

Hi,

I have the brand new Dell XPS 13 9350 with Windows 10. When I use the touchpad with two fingers to scroll down on websites the content "jumps" back up some lines. This happens when lifting the fingers from the touchpad.

It occurs in Chrome and Edge and is pretty annoying because I'm losing focus on the page I'm reading everytime I use two finger scrolling.

Any idea how this can be fixed? I found no driver for touchpad on Dells support page for the XPS 13 and I'm not sure if I should use Synaptic drivers ...

Thanks in advance
Frank

11 Posts

November 30th, 2015 07:00

Okay  I already found the solution for my problem.

Activating "Reverse scrolling direction" in the Windows settings in "Devices -> Mouse / Touchpad" suddenly solved the problem.

The scrolling direction is now reversed which is totally ok for me and the problem with the delay in scrolling is gone now. Very weird, I hope this will help someone.

11 Posts

November 30th, 2015 07:00

I can also confirm problems with my brand new XPS13 which i received today.
For me the touchpad is, let's say, unresponsive.

If i start scrolling up or down with two fingers it needs 1-2 seconds of scrolling before it starts scrolling on the screen. This is VERY annoying!

I mean the scrolling on my 7 year old Sony Vaio was better than this....

How to fix it?! The problem appears in every program

November 30th, 2015 12:00

I have already reversed scrolling, no solution unfortunately.

11 Posts

December 1st, 2015 14:00

hey frank,

try to deactivate the 2 finger pinch to zoom option in the touchpad settings in windows, this should really help.

Tell us if something changed for you then

December 2nd, 2015 00:00

Hi Carl,

I already disables two finger zoom but this does not solve the sxroll jumping problem. Do you have the same behavior?

11 Posts

December 2nd, 2015 03:00

Hey,

yes I also had this behaviour with Windows 10 in the chrome browser,

after reverting the direction it got better and after deactivating two finger pinch to zoom it went away completely.

In the Edge browser there was no problem.

This is indeed a very annoying issue but i think it is software related because I don't have any issues since I am running Ubuntu on my XPS 13

December 2nd, 2015 03:00

I found a workaround: lifting one finger instead of two to stop scrolling works without jumps. But this is no final solution and still annoying.

Carl when you revert scrolling does it happen again or is it solved completely?

1 Message

December 4th, 2015 19:00

Hi,

I have a new XPS13 9350 and the touchpad has two problems:

• There is a delay of about 5 millimeters from it begins to move the finger until the cursor moves.
  • The scrolling with two fingers is imprecise and unpredictable

The solution is to do a clean install of windows 10. However this solution is not simple because all data and programs installed will be deleted.

This is what we must do to perform clean installation of Windows 10 (ALL DATA AND PROGRAMS WILL BE DELETED!!!):

1) Create a installation USB stick using the tool by Microsoft (you need a empty USB stick): https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

2) If you have a SSD, download the driver for SSD from the Intel site (.zip format):

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/55005/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-

Download the driver "f6flpy-x64.zip". Create a folder in the root directory of the USB stick (Driver_SSD) and unzip the "f6flpy-x64.zip" file in it.

3) Download the driver for the WIFI card from the Dell site:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/xps-13-9350-laptop/drivers

Within the category "Network" download the driver "Dell Wireless 1820A WiFi Driver". Create a folder in the root directory of the USB stick (Driver_WIFI) and copy the file "9350_Network_Driver_MYJHH_WN32_1.519.0.0_A01.EXE" in it.

4) Boot the computer and press F12 to enter in the boot menu. Then choose the USB stick to boot from it.

5) Accept the license terms (the text and buttons are very small due to the screen resolution). Choose the custom installation (second option).

6) If you have a SSD, when the warning that there is no drive unit is displayed, press the button to load driver and go to the "Driver_SSD" USB folder to load the Intel RAID Controller.

7) Select the primary partition (which is larger) and within the advanced options remove it, remaining as unallocated space. Select the unallocated space and click "Next" to start the installation.

8) When installation is complete, after starting Windows 10, install the WIFI driver "9350_Network_Driver_MYJHH_WN32_1.519.0.0_A01.EXE" that had been copied to the "Driver_WIFI" folder on the USB.

9) Connect to the wireless network and let Windows update.

5 Posts

December 4th, 2015 22:00

I have the same problem!!  Neither reverse scrolling nor the deactivating two finger zoom fixed the problem.  For a system that is otherwise flawless, it is quite absurd that my brand new XPS 13 is causing annoyance due to a touchpad issue. 

5.2K Posts

December 5th, 2015 06:00

Have you updated to Win 10 TH2? The Microsoft Precision driver has been updated and some issues have been improved. Do not use any other driver as Windows is the driver. Microsoft apparently has not yet improved the driver for non-Microsoft applications; Edge is the only browser that plays nice with the Precision pad.

December 5th, 2015 07:00

Yes, brand new Installation with 1522 media, no other drivers for the touchpad. Is there a bug report at Microsoft somewhere to see updates?

December 11th, 2015 21:00

Any update to this issue?  I am also experiencing this weird annoyance.  Will probably return the laptop.

4 Posts

December 13th, 2015 10:00

+1...xps 13 9350 is an amazing replacement for my macbook air...but this trackpad thing has got to be fixed.

8 Posts

December 13th, 2015 14:00

I have the same issue on my brand new XPS 13 9350.  Makes 2 finger scrolling almost unusable.  

8 Posts

December 14th, 2015 22:00

Switching to the Synaptics driver as described in the thread below has resulted in a huge improvement.

forum.notebookreview.com/.../xps-13-9530-xps-15-9550-replace-windows-ptp-precision-touchpad-ptp-driver-with-synaptics-driver.783990

You lose the 3-finger swipe gesture to change apps, though you can enable back/forward via 3-finger swipe and get a 3-finger click command that can be customized. If you hack the registry, you can get other 3-finger swipe and 3-finger tap commands, though kind of a pain.

Overall, it is shocking how difficult and time consuming it has been to get the touchpad to work the way it should out of the box.

No Events found!