Highlighted
thatguy99
1 Nickel

Dell XPS 13 Battery Charging Light

May be a silly question but is there any way to dim or turn off the light that is at the base of the touchpad when the laptop is charging?  I have my screen colors warmed for use at night and the backlit keyboard turned down as well, but so far I have not found any way to dim this guy.  Any help would be appreciated!

Tags (3)
17 Replies

RE: Dell XPS 13 Battery Charging Light

Hi,

Unfortunately there is no option to alter the brightness of the battery light.

0 Kudos
123456mh
1 Copper

Hi, Will there be an update to allow this? It's extremely annoying when you're browsing or watching Netflix in bed while it's plugged in. The light is blindingly bright in a dark setting. Please update!!!

seajack0
1 Copper

I second these people. Since it is an LED it obviously cannot be dimmed, however, at least give us the option to turn it off completely. I don't get it. This is my first PC in 10 years and so far it is pretty good, but it is the small details that I simply do not understand that you guys overlook. No one wants all of these <profane> lights on their notebook. Literally not a single person in the entire world wants this light.

I agree with the other people. Deeply annoying to have a blinding light shining from your computer at all times of day and night when it is plugged in. Should be an option to disable it.

b.pell
1 Copper

The light at the base of the XPS 13 that lights up when charging is bright enough to light up a significant portion of my room when it's charging at night.  Love the laptop but I ended up putting duct tape over it.

Anyway to set a setting so it doesn't light up when charging would be much welcome.

therealdq
1 Copper

The laptop LED power indicator is elegant - except for this GLARING shortcoming.

It's great that it starts to flash orange/red when your on low power - you really get a sense of urgency to plug it in. Once you plug it in, it's comforting to get the solid white light...for a minute or two.

Who thought it would be cool to leave the light permanently on when it's plugged in? It's totally unnecessary and of as everyone here has pointed out, extremely distracting in the dark.

Let's summarize the LEDs on the XPS13:

• Power Button | Very Minor Distraction
  • Adapter Pin | Moderate Distraction
  • On the Front Panel | EXTREME Distraction

There was a Simpsons where Homer became an inventor  and created numerous devices. The one that comes to mind is the smoke detector that goes off every 10 seconds - - to alert you that everything is OK. This episode might have been Dell's inspiration.

Please Dell, let us control the LED in a future update.

<Rant Over>

doeda
1 Copper

Still no update on this one? Don't want to put duck tape on such a beautiful laptop. The light is annoying...

kylescousin
1 Copper

Agreed. Just spent 2400 euros on this ultrabook and can't even turn off that light. Also the light on the charging cable is really annoying. All these bright lights are annoying in a dark room, especially when watching movies.

docmayur
1 Copper

Second the thought..please please give us an update with option to turn off the light ..thanks..