Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 4th, 2016 11:00

Dell XPS 13 powers up after lid is closed and put to sleep

I have an odd problem. I've noticed that when I close my XPS 13, it shuts down (as indicated by the annoying front LED) but then later on it will start back up while it's being transported. Sometimes I'll get home, take it out of the computer case, and it will be as hot as a thermal missile because it's been running.

I'm not sure why it would just randomly start up like that? I have the power options to "sleep" when lid is closed, as seen here: http://i.imgur.com/p0x1C86.png.

I don't believe I have malware because I have reset my computer to factory settings on multiple occasions and scanned with SpyBot and Windows Defender.

In Bios "Wake on LAN" is Disabled.

For the life of me I can't think what would be triggering this besides the NSA (I joke). Does this happen to anyone else? Did you find a fix for it? Was it a dell program? Or is there a faulty piece of hardware on this computer?

Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks :)

2 Posts

November 5th, 2016 07:00

I was able to fix this issue by installing a clean version of Windows 10. I have an MSDN account so I downloaded the ISO from there and removed everything from the hard drive before reinstalling Windows 10. The only problem I ran into is that I was not able to install in UEFI mode. After installing all the drivers from Dell the laptop sleeps properly and the battery life is great. There must be an issue with some software that Dell installs with Windows that is causing the sleep problem.

2 Posts

October 26th, 2016 08:00

This is happening to me too. Did you ever find a solution? I just got an XPS 13 9360 and the only solution I have found is to hibernate it instead of using sleep, but this is annoying because it takes longer to wake up.

7 Posts

October 27th, 2016 10:00

No, sorry. I did find that I can catch when it is on and thus open it back up and shut down the computer again. Closing the lid, wait 5/10 seconds. If the power light on the inside of the laptop lights again, then its powered itself back on.

Hope that kind of helps.

1 Message

October 28th, 2016 08:00

I have having the same sleep issue. Hopefully someone from Dell Support will respond soon.

Thx for posing the question.

15 Posts

November 4th, 2016 10:00

Have not had these issues with the 9343 nor the 9350 (both unfortunately stolen), but had them out of the box with the 9360. Full factory reset did not help, and BIOS seems to be v1.0.7 although date is Sept. 13th while the urgent update on dell.com is from Sept. 26.

How do we submit a bug report to Dell? This is quite unacceptable.

No Events found!