Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 18th, 2016 14:00

Dell XPS 15 9550 01.02.10 BIOS

Today I installed the BIOS and number of drivers updates - I didn't experienced before the screen flickering at low brightness but now it's non stop if I'm on power or if on battery. Something that apparently this BIOS have fixed - any suggestions?

7 Posts

July 19th, 2016 07:00

have the exact same problem after the new bios update - screen is flickering. any way to roll bios back to previous version?

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

July 19th, 2016 16:00

Hi Guys,

Are either of you using the TB15 dock with your systems?  If so, it sounds related to this article, which suggests installing the latest graphics driver.

Let me know if that was helpful or not.

Thanks,

Brad

7 Posts

I am not using the TB15, and I have the latest graphic drivers for both the Intel and NVIDIA.

The flicker is on the laptop screen and not an external monitor. It started right after I installed the latest bios a week ago. Is there a way to roll back to the previous BIOS as a troubleshoot to the problem?

Thanks Brad.

4 Posts

I'm not having anything plugged into the laptop apart form charger :( any other suggestions?

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

July 19th, 2016 17:00

Hi Tradosh,

Go ahead and try reinstalling the video drivers to see if it changes anything. I can send the link if needed. I am also going to send you an email  (to the address registered on the forum) asking for your Service Tag to look into this further (if the drivers don't fix this).

Best regards,

Brad 

4 Posts

July 20th, 2016 02:00

i have reinstalled both drivers and flickering is a bit less frequent but still to frequent for comfortable use

4 Posts

July 20th, 2016 16:00

an interesting observation it's not day 3 of the BIOS and number of time that screen is flickering per minute goes down, so it's less frustrating - but interestingly there have been no drives updated since :/

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

July 20th, 2016 16:00

Thank you both for the quick replies on the Service Tags, I am going to find out what options we have and will get back with you both hopefully by tomorrow. I am trying to reach a member of our Software/Driver team and will see about the BIOS rollback as well. I am not aware of anything at the moment but will find out.  

Best,

Brad 

7 Posts

July 20th, 2016 18:00

I opened a service ticket when the problem started, few days ago, and finally got a replay with a link to download the previous BIOS - 1.2.0. Downgraded the BIOS, and so far the system has one without LCD flicker for almost 30 minutes. It seems like the new BIOS is an issue (for at lease my system) so I will hold off upgrading to new BIOS for now.

Will let you know if anything changes/ 

7 Posts

July 21st, 2016 07:00

After few more hours of work with the laptop, I think I can finally confirm that there are no more screen flickers post downgrading the BIOS. This case is closed for me. 

3 Posts

August 1st, 2016 15:00

Would you mind sharing the link to role back the BIOS?  I installed the latest bios today and am now having the same issue.  I wish I would have done a search and found this post before I updated the BIOS.

77 Posts

August 1st, 2016 16:00

Hi Tradosh,

Go ahead and try reinstalling the video drivers to see if it changes anything. I can send the link if needed. I am also going to send you an email  (to the address registered on the forum) asking for your Service Tag to look into this further (if the drivers don't fix this).

Best regards,

Brad 

I also have this problem with the dreadful BIOS A10 version on the top spec XPS 9550 4k screen. all latest drivers.

Can you confirm which was the previous build of the BIOS because I can only find version A06 to rollback to.

7 Posts

August 1st, 2016 16:00

Here is the link to the previous BIOS:

http://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER03659467M/1/XPS_9550_1.2.0.exe

You will need to verify your BIOS allow a downgrade if you get an error message:

1.        Restart the system.

2.      Keep tapping on F2 to get into BIOS.

3.      Once in BIOS, click on the maintenance tab.

4.      In Maintenance tab, click on BIOS downgrade.

5.     In BIOS downgrade, please see if “Allow BIOS downgrade” is checked or not.

6.   If not, please check “Allow BIOS downgrade”.

7.      Save the changes and exit BIOS.

7 Posts

August 1st, 2016 17:00

BIOS version 1.2.0 (A06) is the one prior to 1.2.10 (A10)

77 Posts

August 1st, 2016 17:00

BIOS version 1.2.0 (A06) is the one prior to 1.2.10 (A10)

Great thanks

No Events found!