Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

W

July 24th, 2017 07:00

Dell XPS 15 (9550) Battery swelling, need replacement but none offered on Dell Site

Dear Dell,

I bought my XPS 15 in December 2015. The battery is swelling and lifting the trackpad above the laptop case.

I am finding the trackpad increasingly difficult to use, and I am afraid that the battery will rupture and destroy the computer and/or injure me!

I went to your site to obtain a replacement battery. But the site says you no longer offer the battery for this computer model!

So, after 1.5 years, having spent over $1,600, you decide to drop support for a product?!

I only have Dells, 2 XPS desktops, the XPS 15, and I just bought an Inspiron 15 5000 on June 3, 2017.

How about some help?

This is the battery that is currently installed and my system info:

Last Scan: Battery (Manual) Monday, July 24, 2017 8:01 :54 AM

Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery

Battery Name: DELL 1 P6KD54

ePPID: CN01P6KD717695AHK1KAA00

Manufacturer Name: SMP

Manufacture Date: 10-17-2015

Battery Serial Number: 1409

Designed Capacity Percentage: 83

Current Charge Percentage: 100

Current Charge: 84 Wh

Full Charged Capacity: 70.04 Wh

Designed Capacity: 84 Wh

Voltage: 12.97 V

Product XPS: 15 9550

Service Tag:

Express Service Code:

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 24th, 2017 08:00

Get the battery out of the system - NOW.  Then worry about ordering a replacement.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 24th, 2017 10:00

The part number Dell is recommending as a replacement is T453X -- it uses LG Chem battery cells rather than the Simplo battery that's been installed in many of these.

If you search you will find these available online at many places.

18 Posts

Thank you! I will check online and order a new battery...

18 Posts

I cannot, as I just ordered the tool to remove the back cover...But can someone please answer my question?!! What is the replacement battery for this as Dell no longer provides one???!! If you don't know, then please stop with advice I do not need!

18 Posts

I cannot pull the battery without a replacement. Can someone who knows help with the correct and better replacement battery?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

The system will run just fine with the battery removed.  Leaving a swollen battery installed is not good from a safety standpoint - get rid of the battery NOW.

9.4K Posts

July 25th, 2017 07:00

Hi wattride,

Thanks for your post.

Please contact Dell Tech Support in your country before you go out and purchase a new battery, just to see what other options might be available to you.

18 Posts

July 25th, 2017 08:00

I am "out of warranty" and Dell has not been helpful. This is a very big problem apparently from what I have seen, and Dell should be reaching out to its loyal customers to offer replacements. Instead they have apparently decided to not even stock a replacement battery for a computer that is just a year and half old! I have had to purchase a Torx Screwdriver set and a battery for something Dell should have supported...Not happy!

9.4K Posts

July 28th, 2017 07:00

So, you called Dell Tech Support for assistance with this issue?  Apologies that the agent was less than helpful.

Please contact me privately, include the Service Tag number from your computer, and the agent's information as well.  I'll be happy to look into this for you.

1 Message

August 18th, 2017 07:00

I have the same issue with the battery pushing the trackpad out of my 9550. Since it is out of warranty I don't seem to be able to contact support at all. What is the correct way to find out a suitable replacement part?

18 Posts

August 18th, 2017 11:00

I was out of warranty too...but Dell is offering to do an at home repair...and they are supposed to come with the parts (battery and trackpad), next week...no charge. Contact Dell and see.

25 Posts

August 19th, 2017 07:00

Aggresive exchanges do not help anyone so Wattride I woudl just try to appreciate people trying to help you. ejn63 is right, your first priority should be to get the battery out. "tools" to replace it. do oyu mean a Torx 5 and a Phillips screwdriver? I think those two tools should take you almost all the way. you can unscrew and unplugg the battery from the motherboard and kee the battery in a safe adn contained bag (if it explodes or else, the whole MoBo will be ruined) and the computer will keep running while plugged to the wall.

On how to get a replacement, I would suggest also look into batteries for the Precisision 5510; is the same computer basically and workstatiosn lines tend ot have longer lived support.parts availability.

18 Posts

August 19th, 2017 08:00

If you will look at my most recent reply, I was able reach Dell, they have acknowledged this systemic problem, and are fixing the XPS 15 I have for free, even though it is "out of warranty". I encourage anyone with the same problem with their XPS 15 to contact Dell support and get their laptop repaired.

18 Posts

August 19th, 2017 08:00

If you will look at my most recent reply, I was able reach Dell, they have acknowledged this systemic problem, and are fixing the XPS 15 I have for free, even though it is "out of warranty". I encourage anyone with the same problem with their XPS 15 to contact Dell support and get their laptop repaired.

5 Posts

September 4th, 2017 21:00

I have the same problem and will contact Dell.  Will let you know how it goes.

No Events found!