Highlighted
Wattride
1 Nickel

Dell XPS 15 (9550) Battery swelling, need replacement but none offered on Dell Site

Dear Dell,

I bought my XPS 15 in December 2015. The battery is swelling and lifting the trackpad above the laptop case.

I am finding the trackpad increasingly difficult to use, and I am afraid that the battery will rupture and destroy the computer and/or injure me!

I went to your site to obtain a replacement battery. But the site says you no longer offer the battery for this computer model!

So, after 1.5 years, having spent over $1,600, you decide to drop support for a product?!

I only have Dells, 2 XPS desktops, the XPS 15, and I just bought an Inspiron 15 5000 on June 3, 2017.

How about some help?

This is the battery that is currently installed and my system info:

Last Scan: Battery (Manual) Monday, July 24, 2017 8:01 :54 AM

Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery

Battery Name: DELL 1 P6KD54

ePPID: CN01P6KD717695AHK1KAA00

Manufacturer Name: SMP

Manufacture Date: 10-17-2015

Battery Serial Number: 1409

Designed Capacity Percentage: 83

Current Charge Percentage: 100

Current Charge: 84 Wh

Full Charged Capacity: 70.04 Wh

Designed Capacity: 84 Wh

Voltage: 12.97 V

Product XPS: 15 9550

Service Tag: <Service tag removed>

Express Service Code: <Express service code removed>

0 Kudos
18 Replies
9 Rhodium

RE: Dell XPS 15 (9550) Battery swelling, need replacement but none offered on Dell Site

Get the battery out of the system - NOW.  Then worry about ordering a replacement.

0 Kudos
Wattride
1 Nickel

RE: Dell XPS 15 (9550) Battery swelling, need replacement but none offered on Dell Site

I cannot pull the battery without a replacement. Can someone who knows help with the correct and better replacement battery?

0 Kudos
9 Rhodium

The system will run just fine with the battery removed.  Leaving a swollen battery installed is not good from a safety standpoint - get rid of the battery NOW.

0 Kudos
Wattride
1 Nickel

I cannot, as I just ordered the tool to remove the back cover...But can someone please answer my question?!! What is the replacement battery for this as Dell no longer provides one???!! If you don't know, then please stop with advice I do not need!

0 Kudos
9 Rhodium

The part number Dell is recommending as a replacement is T453X -- it uses LG Chem battery cells rather than the Simplo battery that's been installed in many of these.

If you search you will find these available online at many places.

0 Kudos
Wattride
1 Nickel

Thank you! I will check online and order a new battery...

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi wattride,

Thanks for your post.

Please contact Dell Tech Support in your country before you go out and purchase a new battery, just to see what other options might be available to you.

Dell-Robert P
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, please send us the Dell service tag number via a private message
Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?

0 Kudos
Wattride
1 Nickel

I am "out of warranty" and Dell has not been helpful. This is a very big problem apparently from what I have seen, and Dell should be reaching out to its loyal customers to offer replacements. Instead they have apparently decided to not even stock a replacement battery for a computer that is just a year and half old! I have had to purchase a Torx Screwdriver set and a battery for something Dell should have supported...Not happy!

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

So, you called Dell Tech Support for assistance with this issue?  Apologies that the agent was less than helpful.

Please contact me privately, include the Service Tag number from your computer, and the agent's information as well.  I'll be happy to look into this for you.

Dell-Robert P
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, please send us the Dell service tag number via a private message
Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?

0 Kudos