Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 4th, 2016 09:00

Dell XPS 15, 9550 Several Issues (Audio, Software, Heating when closed)

Hi,

I own a Dell XPS 15, with 4K screen (touchscreen), 1TB SSD, 16GB Ram and GTX960M.

I have several Issues with the laptop, concerning both the audio and the general usage of it.

For the audio, it works fine until I plug my headphones in and out again. After plugging my headphones out, there is no audio what so ever and when i plug my headphones back in there is no audio either. I tried connecting to a Bluetooth device and this works fine. However, I have several high quality non-Bluetooth headphones which I would like to use without having to restart my laptop every single time.

The general problems are a bit more concerning to me as one of them is about overheating my laptop.

After I close the lid of my laptop and put it in my bag I would assume that it is sleeping and that nothing will happen. However, several times when I take the laptop out of my bag it is super hot and I can almost not touch it. The fans are and processor are maxed out for some reason but when I turn my laptop back on there is nothing working on the background. 

The other general issue I have is which I am guessing is with my windows software. When I am at my desktop, or at any screen for that matter, my windows key on my keyboard does not work, I cannot left-click any icons on the right bottom of my screen and the "menu" does not pop-up when I slide my finger from the right hand-side of the screen towards the middle. I am guessing that this is an issue with windows 10 rather then the laptop itself.

53 Posts

September 4th, 2016 16:00

I can only suggest that you should always shut down your laptop before you put it in a bag, the heat will eventually kill your hard drive. Closing your lid means it is on in sleep mode so there will be power going to the motherboard. Do a cold boot and your desktop icons and touchpad should be back to normal.  You should change the setting on what to do when you close the lid, set it shut down.

2 Posts

September 4th, 2016 23:00

I did a full shutdown and turned it back on, but they are still not working. Regarding the heating while the lid is closed, I will have to see if it worked in the next week orso. Currently, when I close the lid it puts the laptop in sleep mode, should I set this to hibernate instead?

53 Posts

September 5th, 2016 14:00

I would set it to shut down when you close the lid to prevent overheating when you place it in your bag.

No Events found!