Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

OZ

September 29th, 2017 16:00

Dell XPS 15 9560 Dead. I can't Replace the Motherboard. Oh, I can, but for $1,400.

Hello Dell Community

The purpose of this post is to find a way to replace my laptop's motherboard without having to pay a big amount of money.

I've bought my Dell XPS 15 9560 laptop 3-4 months ago and it stopped turning on around the 11th of Sept, 2017. 

I've posted about it here:

Audio no longer working. NVIDIA Card can't be detected

The laptop had a bios update a week before the incident happened. First, the laptop didn't turn on. Then, after I sent it to a laptop service provider, the laptop started to work but Audio and the Nvidia Card stopped working.

Eventually, the motherboard is completely dead.

I live in Gaza, Palestine. I can't ship the laptop outside my country due to political problems. (I just can't)

I've bought like 4 Dell Laptops for my family since 2015. 2 laptops were mine. I had hardware problems in these 2 laptops. The last one was the above mentioned problem. I simply can't make use of a warranty as I can't ship the laptop out. (I already had hardware problems and the warranty couldn't help me as I needed to ship the laptop).

Now, when I called Dell asking for the price of the motherboard for my 3 months old Dell XPS 15 9560, they asked for $1,400 in the last call. In my first call with their technical support, they said it will cost $260 if the laptop is shipped to them but now they're asking for $1,400. 

I just don't know what to do. I've tried plenty of things. I've contacted Dell Parts resellers in Israel and they've asked for $1,500 for the motherboard. 

Should I buy another laptop? I love Dell and their products, and I don't wish to stop buying their laptops. But, can someone help?

It would be great if Dell can sell me the motherboard for a reasonable price.

22 Posts

I bought the laptop by a friend who's in the US from a Canadian Reseller through eBay.

I'm fine getting the motherboard to a friend in the US and he can bring it to Gaza.

My laptop didn't have a warranty when I bought it. I didn't pay attention when I bought it as it won't help anyway.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

They seem to go for between $500-800 on EBay, depending on CPU and video type.  

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

Dell doesn't sell anything direct in your location - it sells only through authorized dealers.  

These systems are all less than a year old, so in most places still under warranty (why isn't yours?). That means parts availability will be very constrained -- parts in the aftermarket generally come from scrapped systems, of which there will be few.

22 Posts

October 3rd, 2017 15:00

I'm extremely frustrated from DELL.

Plenty of problems that have been posted recently are related to the recent BIOS update (laptop not turning on and devices aren't recognized are among the most popular) More and more problems are still being posted till this date are referring to the Bios update.

If you don't have a warranty, you're screwed.

I just can't believe I have to suffer this because I had a BIOS Update or whatever reason that caused the laptop not to turn on.

Buying the motherboard (YH90J) from DELL would cost me now $1,429 (as their sales reps said. They have offered it for $260 first, and a day later when we wanted to buy it, it became $1,400). If I buy a new XPS 15 for $1,299 , take the motherboard and sell the remaining part, would be a cheaper option that getting a motherboard replacement.

www.dell.com/.../fncwxb1610sstud2

My laptop is only 3 months old. Has the highest specs from all Dell XPS series (i7 - 4k - 32GB RAM - 1TB SSD) and here it is, it hasn't been turned on for 2-3 weeks now.

It seems I'm going to wait till some more Dell XPS 15 laptops get broken and people start selling their Motherboards for cheaper than they are now.

2 Posts

December 3rd, 2017 07:00

I get the same problem,  and for 5 times! they send engineer repair it and then it happens again later. I bought 6 dell laptops, but will never

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

December 3rd, 2017 08:00

Maybe the solution is to buy Dell's business-class laptops instead of the newest and latest laptops.

Pioneers get shot full of arrows. Early adopters are pioneers.

Especially if you live in a country where you have issues of getting warranty repair.

I have bought used Dell laptops that are still going strong.

The Dell Latitude D620 which I bought used is now 11 years old.

It is a business-class computer.

I am going to be trying an install of Cloudready OS on it using a 2nd hard drive.

Removing the hard drive with XP and replacing with a another hard drive.

No Events found!