Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

May 25th, 2017 05:00

Dell XPS 15 9560 fan noise when charging

I noticed a couple of days ago, that the fans take a really long time to turn off after the system returns to Idle (CPU load 0 to 1%).

Usually after I stop playing a game or watching a video, it takes max 2 minutes for the laptop fans to turn off and become completely silent.  Now each time the fans kick in, it takes at least 20 minutes for them to turn off.  This only happens when the laptop is on power (even when at 100% charge).

I didn't make any changes to the system prior to this problem, and was already having the latest BIOS(1.3.3) and driver updates. I already tried changing the System cooling policy to passive when on power but it made no change.

Is this a known problem? Are there any fixes?

PS: I Bought the laptop exactly one month ago!

9.4K Posts

May 26th, 2017 09:00

Hi random15,

Thanks for posting.

Run the Dell Command Update app, see Dell Command | Update Version 2.3 User's Guide

Run the ePSA diagnostics for a complete check of your hardware, there you will find information about the fan, temperature and more.

See Dell support article SLN115162

3 Posts

June 13th, 2017 15:00

so I ran the diagnostics and no problems were detected. Since I posted the question,

I noticed that the fans don't turn off anymore. They ran constantly non stop from the minute I turn on the Laptop, even if it's on Idle. This is really starting to bother me.

I tried installing "Dell Command | Power Manager" (v2.1.0) and setting the profile to Quiet. The fans would turn off immediately and then turn back on 1 minute later. Clicking "Quiet" again does the same thing (fans turn off and than back on).  But of course I can't keep clicking "Quiet" every other minute.

Is there anything else I could do? Why do the fans have to spin when the laptop is on Idle ?

If I buy a dell power companion and connect the charger through it, will this get rid of fan noise because it would be the same as running the Laptop on battery? Or will the laptop ignore the second battery and use the power outlet when connected?

1 Message

July 28th, 2017 14:00

Could you please post a direct link for Dell Command | Update 2.3 download. The article linked suggests that I go somewhere and search for something. Pasting the "Dell Command | Update 2.3" into the search field on dell.com/support will show anything but the application I am looking for.

Thanks in advance

No Events found!