Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

June 4th, 2017 07:00

Dell XPS 15 9560 screen for photo editing

Hey,

I have the Dell XPS 15 9560 laptop for my photography work. I love using it for Photoshop and Lightroom work but I having trouble with the screens colours.

I've tried moving between the Vivid, Internet and Adobe profiles in Dell Premier Color but I'm still struggling. I'll edit an image on the Dell and I'll be happy with how it looks but when I export the file to send to clients the image looks way more saturated and therefore not as good (when I check it on my phone/other computer screens). I'm currently having to edit so that my images are over saturated so they look okay on clients screens.

Any help would be very useful!

Cheers.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

June 4th, 2017 08:00

Did you get the model with the Nvidia card or the base model with Intel HD Graphics 630? Get the latest recent video driver updates for either one here-- www.dell.com/.../advanced

See this thread from last year about problems with Premium Color especially the info about Premium Color and win 10--

en.community.dell.com/.../19991741

4 Posts

August 22nd, 2017 06:00

My answer assumes (because your model number is 9560) that you have the 4K monitor and dual graphics card set-up:

I have successfully cracked this  by calibrating and profiling the screen using an X-rite i1Display Pro device together with Dells own version of the software for this device - the DUCCS software (Dell Ultrasharp Calibration software).

I also have a desktop PC with a top-end photo-monitor (Eizo  CG243W) and the colors I am now getting are almost identical between the two displays, which they were not when using the Dell's own settings in Dell Premier Color.  In particular, although Dells own native 6500K profile (already the default setting) gives a very good color  match in the Library module, it does not in the Develop module.

If you have (or get) the X-rite unit, the procedure used is as follows.

1.  Install DUCCS software (Dell Ultrasharp Calibration Solution.zip  -  ignore the others that are for Dell's stand alone monitors) from the DELL website here:

www.dell.com/.../dell-ultrasharp-color-calibration-software--duccs--for-up2516d-and-up2716d

Then update it (run it and it should then offer to update itself. It took a couple of starts for this to happen but the original install did not recognize the 4K screen and the print was unreadable).

2.  Re-start PC then open the Dell PremierColor app and use the re-set to defaults in the Advanced tab. Then choose the Vibrant Gamut as you will want to use the full color capabilities of the monitor (a wide gamut one).  LR and PS can work with this.

3.  Now connect the X-rite  colorimeter to the laptop and run DUCCS in its advanced mode, the screen should automatically be recognized (mine is Y2XND_LQ156D1).  I chose to set the white point to CIE Illuminant D65 and luminance at 120 cd/m^2 and Gamma 2.2. all normal settings.

4.  You can choose Next to run the software. It will ask you to choose the number of patches, small will be faster to start with, this matters because the software does some initial checking and then gives you the comparison of your target luminance and white point values with the chosen ones. This is the calibration stage.   Now a messy bit: You may have to go back to Dell PremierColor to alter the brightness slider and repeat the DUCCS from the beginning until you get a good match at this stage. (it may be possible to just run through and DUCCS may alter the PremierColor brightness slider to suit anyway, I haven't tried this).

5.  When you have a good match at stage 4 - write down this brightness value (see point 5 below) - now run through with DUCCS and go on to the next stage of measuring the patches.  This will build your profile which you can save (it will automatically appear in Windows Color Management.  You are now done.  LR and PS will use the profile and colors will match in the LR Develop module.

6. IMPORTANT  Every time you switch on: (A) Check the default color profile in Windows Color Mangement (in Control Panel), making sure it is set to your X-rite created profile and (B) check that Dell PremierColor has the brightness slider set to what you set it when building the profile., (the system seems to forget these settings when the laptop is switched off.

It Works !

1 Rookie

• 

490 Posts

August 22nd, 2017 07:00

Mind that the recent Anandtech review of the 9560 UHD found a color calibration issue. In the past I've had a black-levels issue (accompanying the brightness-flicker issue) resulting from incompatibility between certain BIOS and Intel HD video driver versions. Problems with Dell PremierColor are also known. In addition, users may have difficulties understanding the difference between color-managed and non-CM programs...

4 Posts

August 22nd, 2017 11:00

@ samos1111

Thanks for this info about the Anandtech review.  Hopefully I won't see these issues with drivers. By the way, the use of DUCCS in conjunction with Dell PremierColor was recommended to me a few days ago by a Dell senior support technician so perhaps Dell has sorted the issues reported in these forums and elsewhere with this software.

Certainly, with the current XPS 15 9650 setup, I was able to calibrate and profile successfully. Yes, the color accuracy and screen evenness reported for the calibrated Dell screen is nothing like as good as with my Eizo screen with my desktop, but that was a pretty expensive monitor and, so far, I can't really notice it in practice.

Thanks again.

No Events found!