Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 9th, 2011 09:00

Dell XPS 15-L502X Hardware/Video card Problem.

I got a new XPS 15 about 2 weeks ago basically for school and right in the middle of my finals Im having this abomination. I was studying and right in the middle the screen began flickering like a TV with bad transmission giving black wavy lines. After that everytime I turn on the laptop no matter what im doing normal usage, rebooting, restoring to factory setting, EVERYTHING the screen turns like that within 5 minutes and the computer becomes unresponsive. Recently the monitor started showing blank screens of every colour in random order in quick succession and then becomes fuzzy. Sometimes after going showing this funny stuff for a couple of minutes it turns off by itself. I cant do anything with my laptop at the moment. I tried restoring it to factory settings but the screen goes haywire when the process reaches less than 5% and it never goes to completion. My computer is in the semi-rebooting state and cant turn on properly. Is this a hardware problem or a driver problem. I doubt its a driver problem. The problem persists independent of whatever I do. Ive tried rebooting from CD and harddrive, run every diagnostic test the dell website suggests to no effect. Ive noticed that normally manual shutdown using the power button takes about 3 seconds, but in the condition im describing it turns off instantly. I have a Nvidia GeForce 525. Any help or advice please :emotion-6:??

4 Posts

November 28th, 2013 08:00

I have the same problem, however mine only happens when I startup on battery  I have dell xps 15z with nvidia geforce. When I restart when power plug is connected. No problems. Should I be worried? How do I resolve said issues?  Thanks, Jim. 

2 Posts

March 11th, 2015 00:00

Hi 2Cardinal

I know it has been over a year since your post but I was interested to know if your issue was resolved.  I had happily used my XPS 15z for a year or two before it apparently needed a new hard drive, was still working but diagnostics said it was stuffed and could fail at any time.  Dell tech came out and installed new HDD and I think a new WIFI card, got Windows 7 up and running then left me to reinstall the rest.  Like you, I have nvidia geforce in my 15Z.  As the battery was getting a bit old, I tend to use it predominantly while plugged in to the power.  When using it on battery only, I get the screen intermittently freaking out.  It doesn't happen when plugged in to the power and it doesn't happen if I use my TV as an external monitor.  It only happens when using battery power and only once signed in to windows (not while on the sign in page).  Originally I thought it was related to a loose connection because it only happened after the tech had opened up the back to install the new hard drive.  So I got a new battery and checked the connections when I was in there installing the new battery but I couldn't spot anything and it's still doing it.

No Events found!