Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 18th, 2013 06:00

Dell XPS 15 (L502X) laptop Windows 8.1 Quanta H.264 integrate webcam Problem

Hi,

I installed Windows 8.1 yesterday and after the installation I noticed that my camera wasn't working. The Skype and Camera apps don't recognize there's a camera. After seeing this I installed the Dell Webcam Centre, but it didn't recognize it as well. I tried uninstalling the drivers and installing them again. The drivers for the Quanta webcam apparently don't recognize Windows 8.1 (I got an error message saying that you must have Windows XP SP2 or above to install them) so I installed them in compatibility mode for Windows 7. Unfortunately that didn't work as well. And now in the Device Manager the integrated camera is missing when it was working before the installation. Any ideas on how to resolve the issue? Is it possible that it's a hardware issue, a loose cable in the camera docking station or it's some kind of incompatibility with Windows 8.1? Thanks for everything in advance.

Kind regards, Ivan L Petrov

15 Posts

October 18th, 2013 07:00

I have addressed this issue in a previous post.  The Dell agents often have no idea what to do on a lot of issues.  So be careful, especially if they tell you to go to the drivers page.  Like a Vet telling you your cat has a cold and it dies the next morning-"oops. sorry"

So try this before you do anything.

For those of you with a Dell Lap top and for whatever you do you can't get the integrated webcam to work and it is not showing up in the device manager there is a simple solution.  Dell seems to have no idea as to what to do and the so called experts tell you to reload/delete webcam central, then go to their stupid trouble shooting page and do a driver download except there are no drivers for it.  It is inside Windows 7.

The solution is to remove the bezel, take the 4 screws off the screen and un tape the ribbon holding the webcam ribbon.  Then unplug it and plug it back in.  Boom, your done.

1.5K Posts

October 18th, 2013 07:00

Hi Ivan L Petrov,

We truly regret the inconvenience that has been caused to you. I understand after upgrading to Windows 8.1 webcam is not working on the system.

Kindly post a screenshot for your device manager so we can check the same if there are any devices with drivers not installed properly. To confirm please check if these drivers work for your on Windows 7 compatibility format:

Webcam driver

If you still face the same issue then you should wait for the appropriate driver to be loaded on the system, till that time you should perform a system restore for reverting to Windows 8:

System Restore

Keep us posted with the results so we can advise you further.

October 18th, 2013 08:00

Hi,

Here's a screenshot of the device manager.

I unplugged the computer, removed the battery and pressed the power button for 30 seconds and when I switched it back on somehow the integrated camera appeared again in the device manager. It seemed to be working for a while on the Camera App on windows 8.1, but after a while it just stopped. It's currently using the same drivers as the ones you sent in your post.

Before updating to Windows 8.1, I don't remember having an WiUSB nor a ST Micro Accelerometer on the laptop. Though, I don't think those things can be interfering with the camera, though I can be wrong. 

I can try to unplug the camera itself and plug it back again, but by the looks of it, it's not a hardware issue.

1.5K Posts

October 18th, 2013 08:00

Hi MIKE BRENNAN,

We truly appreciate your suggestion and appreciate your participation on our forum. However, this issue was caused after updating to Windows 8.1 and it seems to be working fine prior to that.

That is the reason I doubt it would be an issue with webcam not seated properly. It seems to be the driver update or a software conflict with the system.

I understand many of the times we suggest our users to update the driver first as opening the LCD and reseating webcam cable always have a danger of accidentally damaging something inside the system.

If you have any further queries, please feel free to contact us. 

October 18th, 2013 09:00

And after restarting the computer, the integrated camera disappeared from the device manager yet again and when I tried to install the driver again. That's what I got. 

4 Posts

October 18th, 2013 09:00

Exactly the same problem here on my XPS 15, (Quanta HD) webcam down to the bogus error message 'XP SP2" on setup.

Device is missing from device manager, I tried installing directly from Device Manager (using the 64bit R277364  10 July 2010 drivers - QCM20Q.inf - latest on Dell site). Get a "doesn't contain a compatible software driver for your device.... make sure its designed to work with Windows for 64-bit systems." message.

So not your hardware, either a faulty driver or incorrect version support info in the driver I guess.

Solution please Dell asap.

11 Posts

October 18th, 2013 12:00

Sorry, this might not be interesting to you. I have also upgraded to Windows 8.1 Pro today but everything else than nVidia GT 525M seems to work.

The nVidia driver was not working even in the Cosumer preview for 8.1. I have tried everything as far as troubleshooting and trying out different drivers is considered. I have tried both the whql and beta drivers from nvidia site but for no good.

Looks like you are not having any issues with nvidia. Can you please let me know what driver are you using?

Thanks!

October 18th, 2013 12:00

Hi Sankalp,

I am using the drivers from the NVIDIA website: http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/66702/en-us 

Everything seems to be OK with the graphics drivers.

11 Posts

October 18th, 2013 14:00

Thanks for your message Ivan! Much appreciated.

I have tried using the same but nothing has worked for me. Only "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems." and "You are not using a display attached to an nvidia gpu." are what that i am facing.

Unable to play any good game. Let's see when i'll be able to sort this out. :D

All the best with your issues too. May they get resolved quickly. :)

1.5K Posts

October 22nd, 2013 10:00

Hi Ivan L Petrov,

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate your efforts and sharing the situation with us. These issue arises because of incompatibility with the new windows update on the system. Most device manufacturers are working to develop latest drivers and firmware to make it compatible to the newer and latest operating system.

We truly appreciate your patience in the same. Please download and install the latest updates for your system from the link below:

BIOS

CHIPSET

ST Micro

1.5K Posts

October 22nd, 2013 10:00

Hi Sankalp,

Please let us know the original issue that you faced with the system after upgrading to Windows 8.1. Also, have you tried to install these drivers from the link below:

Video Drivers

And if yes then let us know what happens when you try to install the same, If you can provide us with a screenshot of the error we would appreciate the same.

11 Posts

October 22nd, 2013 14:00

Thanks for your time, Sandeep! I have tried installing that driver once again, for you. But unfortunately same result. Let's move this discussion to separate thread so that Ivan can find it easier to have his issue resolved.  http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19528679.aspx

Thanks!

1.5K Posts

October 23rd, 2013 10:00

Hi Sankalp,

Thanks for your reply. I am replying to you on a thread as requested by you. However, regarding an issue with webcam I would be support Ivan L Petrov on this thread only.

4 Posts

November 26th, 2013 04:00

A month on. Is there an updated driver yet for the XPS integrated webcam so we can use it with Windows 8.1?

1.5K Posts

November 26th, 2013 08:00

A month on. Is there an updated driver yet for the XPS integrated webcam so we can use it with Windows 8.1?

Hi QBOBQ,

Unfortunately, we do not have a driver update for the webcam for this system. There is a possibility this webcam doesn't work with the Windows 8.1. So would advise you to downgrade to Windows 8 and if you come across any update then only you should go ahead with the upgrade.

No Events found!