Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 28th, 2014 12:00

Dell XPS 15 L502x Webcam

Hello everyone,

I am aware of an ongoing issue with the webcam for the Dell XPS L502x models. Usually if the webcam malfunctions, a power cycle will typically do the trick to get the webcam to function. However, my issue is software/driver related.

One day, I left my laptop sitting on my desk, and Windows decides to install it's own generic webcam driver. By the time I got back the Windows generic driver was installed, not the Dell Quanta h.264 driver. Thus, I updated the driver to use the original driver. In the device manager, it states that the driver is working fine, but whenever I use Skype or Dell Webcam Central, it says there is a program that is using the webcam thus it cannot function. I doubled check for any processes and also use a program named "Process Explorer" and found nothing.

I also ran Malwarebytes, CCleaner to make sure there were no suspicious activity going and found nothing.

If anyone knows if there is a solution, that would be great.

3 Posts

July 30th, 2017 09:00

After many years of my webcam not working, I got my webcam to work again by replacing the webcam module with a replacement I got from eBay. Everything is working as it is before.

In summary, buy a OEM replacement of the Dell L502x webcam.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

November 28th, 2014 22:00

Hi mega99999,

Please follow the steps mentioned below to uninstall the drivers for webcam. 

1. Open ‘Device Manager’ by clicking the Start button. In the search box, type ‘Device Manager’, and then, in the list of results, click ‘Device Manager’.
  2. When the device manager pops up, in the list please check for ‘Imaging devices’.
  3. Under ‘Imaging devices’ check if you are finding webcam.
  4. Right click on the webcam available and click on ‘Uninstall’.
  5. Check the box which says delete the software and click ‘OK’.
  6. Restart the system and then download and install ‘Quanta H.264 Integrate Webcam Driver’.

Please let us know if this helps.

3 Posts

November 29th, 2014 18:00

I just performed the instructed steps, and it's weird even after uninstalling the driver, and restarting Windows automatically installs a generic driver. I therefore must update it to switch it over the Dell Quanta and I still experience the same issue.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

December 1st, 2014 07:00

Hi mega99999,

I would suggest you to uninstall the Webcam drivers by following the steps provided in the previous post but do not restart the system and then try installing the ‘Quanta H.264 Integrate Webcam Driver’.

No Events found!