Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 16th, 2011 11:00

Dell XPS 15 Riddled with issues

Received my Dell XPS 15 15/12/2011(yesterday) and since then I have had 5 blue screens. I'm going to guess they have come from terrible building from Dell. 2 blue screens from just loading up the desktop, 1 for trying to load and game and 2 for trying to install a network dongle.

So why a network dongle? Because the Intel Centrino Advanced N 6230 tht I paid a £20 upgrade for downloads at a pathetic speeds. I've tried everything to sort it out. Within the home I live in theres 4 other computers all wireless and I've tested them ALL at the same range as this Laptop and all download between 2.0MBps and 5.0MBps the laptop downloads between 2KBps and 500KBps but its like a rollercoast it cuts out for 10-20seconds then starts at 2KBps then up to 200KBps > 500KBps for a total of 2 seconds then back down to nothing.

So I started with coming to the Dell site ofcourse and entered my Service tag into the warrenties section...INVALID.

How am I meant to sort these issues without a vlid Service tag I've had this laptop a day, it's a nice laptop but I want EVERYTHING to work and have a valid service tag encase I have issues that need resolving.

PS This is what I've tried to improve the Network card: 3 different routers, power settings change so it doesn't affect performance, makes no difference whether it's plugged in or running off battery power.

41 Posts

December 16th, 2011 14:00

The service tag for warranty isn't attached to your account immediately, it should show up in a week or two (that is what happened with mine anyway).

The 6230 drivers shipped with the machine are probably old (the ones on my XPS14z dated to June even though the machine shipped in December). I believe there are more recent ones available, those might fix your issue.

There are some posts regarding a similar issue on other models here: en.community.dell.com/.../20000353.aspx

The third post in that thread is from a Dell person and provides links to more recent drivers.

December 18th, 2011 05:00

I have tried many different versions of the drivers with no improvement. As for now the main issue is blue screening. I get atleast 3 a day. Not healthy! Oh and a black screen when I loaded once which is not good seeings it happened to my computer a day ago (jinxed atm) and now my harddrive is dead.

Nothing but problems!

No Events found!