Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 23rd, 2016 22:00

Dell XPS 15 - screen flickering

Hi!

I own a Dell XPS 15 (Skylake) and I´ve noticed that the screen flashes now and then.

It doesnt get all pitch black, it´s more like it dims/flickers for a second...

I´ve tried to restore the computer and installed the most recent intel&nvidia drivers.

Best regards 

August 24th, 2016 19:00

Hi Redfarmers

Thanks for writing to us. 

When did the issue start? 

Have you done any hardware or software changes recently? 

Does the symptoms vanish if you wiggle the screen back and forth? /

Also do try an external monitor and observe if the symptoms appear.

Do provide us your system tag#, email address and name via private message,by clicking on my name in blue and then select send a private message

Regards

1 Message

August 28th, 2016 09:00

Hi,

I also have a Dell XPS 15 with high resolution touch screen. I have noticed also that my screen occasionally flickers as well. It is just a quick 'wink' so to speak, almost as if something is running in the background but a slight dimming then back to normal. My programs don't seem to be affected and my computer is only about 4 months old.

No hardware changes and the only updates are Windows, Dell driver/BIOS and NVidia driver updates. But this started happeninig about a week ago BEFORE any new NVidia driver or Dell driver updates.

4 Posts

August 28th, 2016 15:00

It started a few weeks ago. 

I have restored to factorysettings and downloaded the latest drivers for bios & for both intel&nvidia graphics.

And of course I´ve downloaded all the windows updates.

Nothing particular happends when I wiggle the screen. 

Only external monitor I have is my tv, no signs of this issue when I connect it through HDMI.

September 4th, 2016 00:00

I have the same problem with XPS15 (9550). Fully updated, it works flawlessy even with WD15 but the flicker is still there, not very evident as before updates, but rather frequent (10-15 secs, if I am not wrong).

2 Posts

September 4th, 2016 23:00

I have a brand new Dell - 3 days old.  The flicker has been present from the very beginning.  It does not happen when plugged in - only when operating on battery.  XPS 15 - hi res touch screen - windows 10.  Is this a power settings issue?

1 Message

September 8th, 2016 09:00

Same here, brand new 9550. Been flickering on battery and power since out of box. Updated all drivers and bios and still happening.

Any fixes yet?

2 Posts

September 15th, 2016 04:00

I also have this problem. Brand new straight out of the box. I rolled back the bios to 1.2.10 as I heard this fixed it but no joy. There's clearly a serious issue here as so many people are complaining about it. It's unacceptable on a flagship notebook.

2 Posts

September 15th, 2016 10:00

Update here.  I spent some time with the on line chat help desk.  He took control of my computer (scary but worked out ok) and updated drivers and bios.  The flickering is better but still there.  As one person said, it is more of a "wink". It is so brief that many times I wonder if I really saw it wink or if I just blinked or something. After enough times -  I am sure it is a flicker.  I will reestablish contact with the on line chat person today.

1 Rookie

• 

77 Posts

September 15th, 2016 17:00

there is already a thread regarding this en.community.dell.com/.../20940574

October 24th, 2016 08:00

I got a solution that worked for me. I downloaded the latest NVidia driver. I googled NVidia driver and updated to the current one as of oct. 23. 2016. I had to open internet explorer to do it to be able to be compatible with JAVA. DOESNT WORK IN EDGE. use IE, or if you dl chrome or something else.

the screen has stopped flickering. I have the latest BIOS dell driver as well.

Now, my computer keeps restarting when I try to turn it off. so that's new,   But the flickering stopped.

3 Posts

November 8th, 2016 22:00

I updated the NVidia driver using the Device Manager.  The driver version downloaded on 11/08/17 was  Version 21.21.13 6909 dated 8/1/16.  This seems to have fixed the "wink" flicker

13 Posts

January 5th, 2017 08:00

I found possible answer here, not tested yet, but I am also experiencing same issue:

www.reddit.com/.../

1 Rookie

• 

490 Posts

January 6th, 2017 02:00

Yes there is more in the thread:

en.community.dell.com/.../19987459

It seems to be an issue between certain BIOS and Intel video driver versions.

It should be resolved with the recent BIOS update 1.2.18, with the recent Intel video driver from Dell support site.

Previously, with BIOS 1.2.14, the workaround with Intel video driver to .4331 worked for me.

And it all started with a certain BIOS update which, funnily, claimed to resolved a flicker issue (but this was supposedly with FHD not UHD displays).

Aside for the flicker, I also had the problem with black levels (some deepest blacks were totally black, then there was an abrupt change so that video playback looked very blocky in the darker areas). This is resolved too.

1 Rookie

• 

490 Posts

January 6th, 2017 03:00

> Intel beta driver in my case did a mess

What Intel beta driver? I was referring tho the "official" Intel video drivers adapted by Dell provided on the Dell support site, the current one being 20.19.15.4531_A08. It should be also possible to use Intel video drivers straight form Intel, which are likely a bit more fresh (the current 15.45.10.4542). I tried one earlier but it did not solve the flicker issue, then the .4331 from Dell site did; I haven't tested with the latest BIOS.

> No other bug is annoying me except a random mouse disconnection

Wireless mouse with the little USB ding in the USB port on the right side has been stable here all the time. But at the start it was disconnecting and causing system freezes or shutdowns, and a wired one too, when plugged into the WD15 dock or an Aukey USB3 hub connected in the USB-C port on the left. Has improved quite a bit over time with BIOS or USB-related updates, I don't know which exactly, but I still get temporary freezes unless the computer is in the airplane mode. so I suspect some sort of interference with the Dell Broadcom 1830 wifi card, many suggest replacement with the Intel 8260.

January 6th, 2017 03:00

The latest BIOS and Intel driver worked for me on 4K screen - the flicker has completely gone and no other bug is annoying me except a random mouse disconnection (same on XPS-13, I own both).

Intel beta driver in my case did a mess, almost nothing worked; so much that for some moments I feared not to be able to restore the old one.

No Events found!