Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

K

4 Posts

July 4th, 2007 01:00

Dell XPS Gen2 Laptop - Battery Problem Error Code 3600:0123

My battery just will not recharge and is staying at 0% all the time.  When I ran the diagnostic tool from the CD that came with the laptop, it failed at "Left Battery Bay - Battery Charger Test" with an error code 3600:0123. 

I have no problem getting a new battery, but I just want to be sure that it is the battery that died, and not the MB.  Can someone please tell me what this error code is about?

1.5K Posts

July 18th, 2007 14:00

kima4055

It could be ether, the best way to tell is to try a known good battery in your system or try your battery in a known good system. From experience I would guess its most likely the battery. They are considered consumables because they do wear out.

4 Posts

July 19th, 2007 12:00

Jimmy, thanks for the reply.

I would love to swap out the parts to narrow down where the problem is, but unfortunately none of the people I know owns this laptop.

Here is another problem that my laptop is having which I think is related to the power.  My laptop started running very sluggish.  I know it's nothing to do with virus or spywares or drivers.  Laptop runs as if it's not getting enough juice from the power adaptor.  When I turn on the laptop, the battery light on the laptop comes on for about 5 seconds then it simply goes away.  I'm pretty sure 6800Ultra card is not getting enough power, and that's what's causing this slowness.  Would this still be the battery issue or something else entirely?

The adaptor itself looks to be working OK.  The power light on adaptor comes up when it's plugged in.  I have several Dell Latitude D620 laptops at work and was thinking if I could try out D620's power adaptor to see if it'll work...

Any help would be appreciated, really.

1.5K Posts

July 19th, 2007 14:00

kima4055 wrote:
  Would this still be the battery issue or something else entirely?

Pull the battery out and see if it make a difference, you don't need the battery in the system if your on AC.

4 Posts

July 20th, 2007 04:00

Jimmy,

I pulled the battery out and noticed that it has absolutely zero effect on how the system performs.  It still runs very sluggish.

I also tried to pull the power jack out of laptop while leaving the battery in, and of course the laptop shuts down - I'm assuming it's because the battery has zero charges in it.  It's exactly like how it would be if you pulled the power cord out of desktop that is not connected to UPS.

So, I take it that my battery is fine, and that it's more likely perhaps my power adaptor?

1.5K Posts

July 23rd, 2007 14:00

kima4055

If your system turns on and runs your AC adapter is working fine. Sluggish performance is normally software related though it could be caused by hardware.

Disconnect anything you have plugged into the system, printers, scanners, USB mouse or Keyboard ...etc, to eliminate them as a possible cause.

Use MSCONFIG to turnoff startup items and see if it runs better. Disconnect your system from the internet. Click start/run, type msconfig, press enter. Go to the startup tab and click disable all, go to the services tab and check the "Hide Microsoft Services" check box <~~(Important) and then click disable all. Click OK and then reboot.

If the performance goes back to normal you know its a program or a combination of programs causing the slowdown.  

There are so many things that can slow a system down, everything from no room left on the hard drive to overheating. You just have to poke around until you find the culprit.

4 Posts

July 24th, 2007 06:00

I seriously doubt it's the softwares.  The laptop basically has nothing loaded except OS.  I've tried to reload XP on it twice from the scratch, and got the same result - slow performance.  Even when I was loading the OS it was slow.

I think it's important to note that there actually is an error code when I run the diagnostic (See subject line and the original post).  That tells me it's something to do with hardware, and not software.  If only I can find out what the error code indicates... Dell customer support won't help me unless I fork out the money since my laptop is out of warranty. 

I tried using one of the power adaptors that came with Dell Latittude D620 (I've got lots of these at work), and surprisingly enough the battery recharge light on the laptop stayed on.  However, the laptop won't even't get to the POST because the adaptor can only supply 65W (correct voltage though) or so.  The laptop requires at least 130W of power.

1.5K Posts

July 24th, 2007 14:00

kima4055 wrote:

I tried using one of the power adaptors that came with Dell Latittude D620 (I've got lots of these at work), and surprisingly enough the battery recharge light on the laptop stayed on. 

There you go, you need an adapter. Will the D620 adapter charge the battery if you leave it connected long enough? Normally if an adapter will run the system and your not getting an error message that the system doesn't recognize the adapter  the adapters OK. If the system can't tell what kind of adapter is plugged in it will automatically revert to power saving mode which would explain the performance hit.
No Events found!