Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 12th, 2016 10:00

Dell XPS L502x Nvidia Geforce GT 540M

I have a Dell XPS L502x with the Nvidia Geforce GT 540M.  I first noticed an issue when installed windows 10. After reading through the internet i came to conclusion that windows 10 was the culprit so it downgraded to windows 7 which it was before. But still I have noticed that the Device Manager shows the yellow triangle for my Nvidia Geforce GT 540M. 

It shows Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43) as the device status.   I have tried multiple versions of the driver both from Dell and Nvidia.  Nothing makes the video card work.

I am not a novice but cannot find any solutions to the issue.  I have used the Nvidia drivers and done a clean install of the newer drivers.  I have tried uninstalling the hardware and installing again.  I have tried to use the Nvidia control panel but it will not start because there is no display attached to the graphics card. 

If anyone has any experience with this issue, the help would be appreciated.

tony

thanks

1 Message

June 16th, 2016 15:00

I have the same laptop. I never went to Win10, still on Win7. Having the Code 43 problem too. In my case, I'm 99% certain that the GT540m video card is dead. Apparently there was a known issue with the card running too hot. There was a utility you could install that would let you under-clock from 672 / 900 MHz to 515 / 700 MHz. The only problem is that your card/driver need to be functioning in order to do that.

If you noticed your laptop running really hot (the exhaust on the left) recently, it's probably already too late.

The one last thing you can try is to download the DDU utility from the Guru3D website. Boot into safe mode and then run the Display Driver Uninstaller. Select NVidia and then Clean & Restart. It will remove all Nvidia drivers, files, folders, and registry entries. You can leave the C:\Nvidia folder alone. Be patient. It takes a while and seems like it's not doing anything for a while. Once it reboots into Normal mode, you'll have no trace of Nvidia leftover files that MAY have been causing the problem (especially since you upgraded and then downgraded the OS)

Then run the installer for whichever version of the driver you downloaded from NVidia's website. (I have version 365.10 running on another Dell L502x that I maintain, if you're looking for a 'stable' build)
If you're lucky, that should fix your problem. If not, the GT540m is dead.

At least the onboard Intel video still works.

No Events found!