Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 6th, 2012 22:00

Dell XPS M1530 screen replacement...PLEASE HELP!

Can anyone point me in the right direction for buying a CORRECT replacement for my laptop.  The model number is N154C6 - L02 Rev. C2 (made by Chi Mei).  I have tried on 5 different occasions to order a replacement and still have not had luck in receiving one that actually works.  I have had companies claim to be selling/sending me the correct one and then send me something totally different all together, only to have me lose money on return shipping; I've also had companies sending models that similar but not exact.  I need one with that EXACT model number, otherwise it won't work apparently.  I have received and tried N154C6 - L01 Rev. C2 and it doesn't work... at all!  All I get is the windows startup screen (post and bios is fine, too), in bright purpleish colors, and then once windows starts up, just white noise/horizontal lines across the screen.  

Is the discrepancy of the model numbers' 'L01' and 'L02' really THAT huge of a problem that it is causing me THIS much of a headache!?  Please, SOMEONE, ANY ONE, help me! 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 6th, 2012 23:00

Hi,

Welcome to the community

N154C6 - L02 Rev, is this a part #? Do you need  a replacement for your LCD? Please brief me what happened to your screen. I can help you get the correct part and look for the best option for you.

Best Regards,

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 7th, 2012 03:00

It sounds more like you have a bad video chip than a bad screen.

22 Posts

June 7th, 2012 06:00

Yes, that [N154C6 - L02 Rev] is the model number on the back side of the LCD screen.  I need a replacement, yes, but apparently it will only work if it is THAT exact screen model.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 7th, 2012 07:00

LCDs cannot "burn in" - screen saver or not.  Thermal damage to the screen may indicate a problem with the mainboard - or damage to the cable, so be sure you changed the cable with the screen.

Try parts-people.com - they will have replacement screens that, even if they're not identical to the one you have now, they guarantee will work with your system.

22 Posts

June 7th, 2012 07:00

It can't be a video chip issue if my old screen worked fine.  The reason I needed to replace my old screen was not because I couldn't see with it, it was because there were strange 'burn' marks running up from the bottom all across the screen from leaving the monitor on all night without a screen saver or any other type of relief.  How would it be a chip issue if that monitor still worked, but then this new one didnt... then I replace my old monitor again, and it works just as it did before?

22 Posts

June 7th, 2012 10:00

I am attaching 2 images to this post.  The first image of the whitish screen is the NEW one that isn't working.  Everything is connected correctly... I know this for a FACT.  The second image is the ORIGINAL screen that I RECONNECTED after taking the new one out.  As you can see, the monitor 'works' but has those 'burn' marks I spoke about earlier.  Can you tell me what the problem is here???

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 10th, 2012 02:00

Hi,

In my opinion, assuming the LCD screen is compatible, there could be an issue with LVDS cable (video). You can try to replace it first so we can determine which is causing the issue. I understand your point that video chip is not an issue, but the cable can play a big role to determine if its the Video chip or LCD causes the issue. The generic part # for the cable is N849D. Feel free to add me as a friend by clicking my username above, if you need further assistance in getting the part #s.

Regards,

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 10th, 2012 07:00

This is an LED-backlit screen - it doesn't need or use an inverter.

22 Posts

June 10th, 2012 07:00

I actually already ordered a new cable and new inverter.  Let's see if those don't fix the problem!  I'll keep you guys updated.

22 Posts

June 10th, 2012 08:00

Oh well, I guess I'll have an unused inverter laying around then.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 11th, 2012 01:00

HI,

See if new CABLE will resolve the issue.

3 Posts

June 15th, 2012 16:00

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem with the same screen pictures for my old and new laptop screen.

The new does not work. It is purple at the start and then I have lines all over it. When I get back to the old one, it works, but has what you have called "burn marks". I never had these marks. They just started suddenly approximately one week ago.

Old screen: Chi Mei Optoelectronics N154C6-L02 Rev.C1 E207943

New screen: Chi Mei Optoelectronics N154C6-L01 Rev.C2 E207943

So, here also, the version is not exactly the same and it does not work.

What are the odds that we have the exactly same technical issue with the L02 vs L01, vs. the new screen being the issue???

I ordered my screen from http://www.laptopscreen.com

Olivier

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 15th, 2012 17:00

I don't think those are "burn marks" -- they look like part of the backlight isn't working.  Did you change the cable with the display?  If not, that would be the first thing to try.  IF it doesn't solve the problem, the screen isn't compatible with your system.

June 15th, 2012 18:00

Hi

This is Arun from Dell Technician Support

I Fell that the issue might be with the Cable , LCD  Screen  or the MotherBoard

Let’s have a Clear Analysis check and come to a conclusion.

Let’s Follow 2 Simple Steps

1.Lets Take the computer to the BIOS Screen

(Turn on the computer as soon as you press the power button keep tapping the F2 Key on the Keyboard"

you would Reach a Blue Or Grey Screen With System Setup Options

Leave the computer Idle , if we get the Lines to Appear in the Screen, then it is an issue with the LCD (either the Screen or Flex Cables)

2. LETS run the LCD BIST(LCD Built in self  test )

Press and Hold the key "D" on the Keyboard and turn on the computer this would Run a Test on the Screen and you would get a Sequence of Beeps and a Sequence Vertical and Vertical and Horizontal Bars on the Screen.

Yet if the Lines Seem to Appear on the Screen then it’s an issue with the LCD or Cables.

If the Lines do not Appear on the Above 2 Scenario's then it might be an issue with the Motherboard so we need to uninstall and reinstall the Screen

HAPPY TO HELP YOU IN FURTHER TROUBLE SHOOTING PLEASE FOLLOW THE ABOVE 2 STEPS and REPLY BACK TO THE POST

THANS,

REGARDS.

Arun Pandian.M

Dell | Social Media and Communication Professional

22 Posts

June 15th, 2012 19:00

Are you kidding???  Do you really have the same exact problem as me??  If this is the case, then I am NOT CRAZY after all!! hahah.

I'm still waiting for the cable to come in the mail.  Once it comes, I will replace it and let you guys know how it went.

The 'lines' are on my screen all the time... even in BIOS.

No Events found!