Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 28th, 2009 10:00

Dell XPS M1530

I just ordered the XPS M1530. I read a lot of review and they are pretty much all good. Just personal preferences and expectations are different. BUT something i read in quite a few is the laptop getting hot.  One of the Dell agents (in-e-mail) told me they changed the fan speed. But this happened during intense graphics in online gaming. Anyone has any experience in this or his/her $0.02 to put in ? I am not an expert, nor am i an intense gamer.

Thanks in advance

2 Posts

March 1st, 2009 17:00

We bought an XPS M1530 in Sept and have been having heating problems.

I see a number of posts around this and have not seen any official response from Dell regarding this.  I would love to hear what their response is and, unitl then, I would seriously consider alternatives to the M1530.

-b

3.6K Posts

March 1st, 2009 17:00

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/703/1028703/nvidia-g84-g86-bad  .

The overheating issue is likely due to the Nvidia graphics card,which nvidia had problems with.And as for getting a responce from dell,you won't,this is a user to user forum.

2 Posts

March 1st, 2009 19:00

Thanks for the link. 

While it is a user forum, my guess is thatDell monitors it as well.  I'd love to see a general response from them, but mostly I'm curious if any users experiencing this problem have received any resolution from Dell on this. 

-b

2 Posts

March 1st, 2009 19:00

I thought as you did once, but I was told by a dell rep that they do not read the forums.  I challenged that as neglecting a prime opportunity to see what is up with their stuff and not sending a good message by ignoring what their pips have to contend.  they do not read the forums.  in short, they do not care or are threatented by the expertise you will find here.  if you have problem, they prefer you struggle with their tech support.  it is my opinion, you are more likely to get a better answer here than by calling or chatting with their increasing inept support.  my apologies for the negative sentiment, but I am here due to the worst support I can imagine regarding an upgrade.  they person had no clue whatsoever and would have had me using duct tape to get the mobo to fit.  past gone. 

3.6K Posts

March 1st, 2009 20:00

If any users who are/had experienced this problem,Dell,has extended the warranty by 1 year because of the failing video.

1 Message

May 20th, 2009 11:00

I too am having serious heating problems.  It is constantly overheating and shutting off, no warnings, just completely off.  Dell has upgraded the BIOS to the latest (A12) on four seperate occasions.  While I understand that upgrading it could help, doing it four times with the same update seems a bit ridiculous.  They also replaced the motherboard, heat sinc, and fan. 

After they replaced it, and upgraded the BIOS (ok, i understand why they would have to do it again in this case), it continued to overheat again.  Another 2 hour chat session with dell, in which they once again upgraded the BIOS from A12 to A12, :emotion-43:  and a conversation with a supervisor, Dell explained that the new parts they installed (only a week before) "were defective parts and need to be replaced".  After the motherboard, heat sinc, and fan were replaced for the second time, the computer once again, started overheating and shutting off. In addition to this, my computer will not suspend, hibernate, nor sleep.  Only two options for me, on, or completely shut down.

Once again, i contacted Dell in an effort to resolve this.  After several hours of upgrading the video card drivers, changing various settings, another attempted BIOS upgrade (which I refused to allow another time) the technician asked if everything is backed up.  Since I use my computer for personal, school, and work, of course i needed some time to make certain everything is backed up.  The technician was supposed to call me back this morning and if i understood him correctly, restore it to factory settings.  I don't have much faith that this will work since the overheating issue began the day i un-boxed the laptop and turned it on.    I'm still waiting for the call, and it's after noon.  My laptop is still super hot.  My temper isn't much better right now.

Is anyone else having similar issues and if so, have they been resolved? 

:emotion-6: N

1 Message

May 31st, 2009 06:00

I'm to suffering with this problem. we had the laptop for about 9 months and overheating has always been a problem, within 3 months of buying the laptop, one of the speakers stopped working permantly which i suspect was due to overheating, because not only do the air vents get hot, all of the laptop does. But recently the computer has started getting even hotter and just randomly turning itself off, it happens more frequently when im playing games but its definately not intense gaming of more than 2 hours, i mean within 15 minutes of playing a basic internet game to chill out and the back of the computer will be too hot to hold your hand on and eventually turns off, im not entirely sure if the gaming causes this though because the laptop turns itself off at other seemingly random times aswel. Any support with how to fix this or atleast tell me what it wrong with the computer would greatly help. I suspected the fan wasn't working properly but since then ive heard that the video card may be faulty on these models.

2 Posts

April 21st, 2012 17:00

I to have had an overheating/shutdown problem with my 1530. I have managed to solve the problem with a very low tech solution that I came up with on my last visit to a very hot desert country. I use an external keyboard so I can place a short wide glass of ice water on the left side of the laptop just below the keyboard (seems to be the hottest spot). With this added low tech heat sink my 1530 has never over heated and shut down.  Without it the dell will shut down every 30 min. Hope my low tech solution helps a few of you, who like myself , are not ready to shell out the cash for a new laptop.

SFC B.

No Events found!