Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 14th, 2016 08:00

Dell XPS turns off wifi for everyone

Friends

I just got this new Dell XPS 13 with the Killer network card. I however notice that when I log into my son-in-law's wireless with it then after a short while the wifi box kicks us all out! So I have to restart the wifi! I have tried several settings in the network card  and even removed the Killer network card special software but to no avail.

My driver is the latest from the Dell support page and I got the latest BIOS just updated today.

What could be happening? Other laptops and smartphones and XBOX work fine here.

Thanks

Calle

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

December 16th, 2016 17:00

Hi Calle,

Thanks for the updates. Does it matter what band the XPS connects to 2.4/5 ghz? Or do they both cause these disconnects of all the users? And if you only have the XPS connected (other devices off the network and disconnected/off) does it still cause this issue of the wifi dropping? Also when it does do the reset do any of the wired devices stay connected, or is everything forced offline (where you're forced to reset)?

I have personally never seen this with the TG1682 and was hoping it was a different brand/model, but this might be something to check w/ the cable company too, just to see if there is a FW update for their modem/gateway. As I mentioned before I am aware of a few doing this but not this one. One other question is if you use this system on a different wireless network or maybe even a hotspot, does it do the same thing? 

On a side note, I tried double checking internally did not find anything like this. 

Best regards,

Brad

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

December 15th, 2016 06:00

Hi Calle, 

Can you post what router (both make/model) you're using? And when this happens does the router actually stop? I have seen some issues recently like this with newer Intel cards on some setups (and in some cases a FW update can resolve it), but not yet with the Killer wireless card. 

Also is there anything in particular you're doing on the system (normal web browsing, or doing something more intensive like uploadings/streaming)? Obviously it shouldn't do this but just wanted to get any further details. I know in the Intel card's case it was somehow using more throughput than the router allowed and causing it to have the router's wifi to stop entirely (almost like an overrun or something), it was pretty odd. 

Thanks,

Brad

6 Posts

December 15th, 2016 15:00

Oh, one more thing. I can connect the Dell XPS 13to the modem using a network cable and that works, but the wireless is out of question!. :-(

Calle

6 Posts

December 15th, 2016 15:00

Thanks Brad

Arris TG1682 is the brand of the cable modem we have here.

Spectrum is the service provider, here in Orlando FL.

When this happens the lights for the 5 GhZ goes black on the modem, but the 2.4 GhZ one stays on. But every device loses the Internet and the modem needs to be restarted. And then I can see the wireless SSID on the Dell but when I connect it connects but within a short time it will disconnect and everyone else is also kicked out from the Internet. We have a Xbox 1, a few Iphones and some Android phone plus a few laptops that use that connection. Only when the Dell connects then this happens.

I tried various settings in the Killer card and un-installed the Killer software but to no avail.

I just try to surf the web or do email so nothing special. :-(

Thanks for any input

Calle

6 Posts

December 17th, 2016 06:00

Thanks, Brad

I turned off the 5 GhZ band from the Killer card and also changed it to use only B/G connectiions and now it has been on for 10 minutes and I think it is fine. My son in law also called the  Broadband co and they said they check the lines but I do not think they had a chance to do that yet. So, thanks for your help with this. We cannot get the full speed with this modem but never mind. We are just visiting here for a few weeks anyway and picked up this new Dell XPS 13 while here. I assume it will work fine with normal, wireless modems we use in our home country.

Merry Christmas

Calle

2 Posts

December 17th, 2016 08:00

I am experiencing the same problem with an XPS 13 purchased a couple of weeks ago as a birthday gift for my wife.  I have a DSL connection provided by Centurlink and an Archer D7 AC1750 modem/router, my own, not Centurylink's.  Very frustrating stuff.

Just pushing the on/of button does the serve to restore service, fortunately a full reset is not required.  I will try turning off the 5G and see if that works.

Harold

2 Posts

December 17th, 2016 10:00

Okay, changing to 2.4 Ghz did not solve the problem for me.  Also,   have found the wifi switch goes to off on its own in the settings when this occurs.  The LED for wireless stays on when the situation occurs.  Also, my desktop is connected via ethernet and it too, gets kicked out as does every other device in the house.

Shut off the laptop, and no problem.

Anybody have some suggestions that might help?

Harold

No Events found!