Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 3rd, 2012 09:00

Dell Xps 17 wont Restart or Shutdown

Only got my Dell Xps laptop nearly 2 months ago now and it wont restart or shutdown unless i manually turn it out via the button. The weird thing is that it lets me hibernate and sleep the laptop, just not restarting or shutting down, does anyone have an explanation for this at all?

I have macafee installed in which says there are no virus' etc.

Should i just call Dell and see if they have a quick fix idea or does it need to be taken in to get fixed properly?

3 Posts

June 24th, 2012 20:00

I have the same problem on dell xps17 got no help from dell I just hold button to turn it off sorry

3.8K Posts

June 25th, 2012 01:00

Hi,

Welcome to the Community. Check if one of your startup programs is causing this issue. Click on start, in the search box type in msconfig and press enter, click on the Startup Tab on top and click on Disable All at the bottom, click on Apply, and ok, and restart your computer. If this works then try disabling Mcafee by going back to your startup programs, and checking the box.

I also suggest you run a SFC Scan now. Click on start, in the search box type in cmd and press enter. At the DOS prompt, type in sfc /scannow ( note there is a space between c and / ) and press enter, once the scan is done, type exit, and restart your computer.

Hope this helps.

Thank you

No Events found!