Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 24th, 2011 21:00

Dell d630 Video intermittent problems. LCD Screen shows lines. CRT mode screen shows res. out of range

Hello, 

I want to first apologize for long posts. I have been working on this problem for weeks and felt i needed to bring you up to speed on what steps I have taken already. I am no expert, but I have years of experience with PC's and i'm sorta new to laptops. Thank you for understanding :emotion-1: If I have left out any info that is needed, please ask.

I have a Dell Latitude D630. I've had it for a year or so. Got it free. it had been dropped on the corner. I rebuilt it. no damage to Lcd, it was missing a cd drive and needed a new bottom shell. It has worked great since.

Until... one day i used it in the morning and then that after noon, I turn it on and .... no video. just lines in the LCD. now I assumed the LCD had been damaged but i could not play with the connections to get it to change or flicker even. i connect a external monitor and It gives me an out of range res message. i turn it off and boot it back up and the external monitor would show fine until the vista boot screen. It show a few blue dashed vertical lines. then if i switch to the LCD again sometimes it work other times it doesn't. I had it sitting for about a week or 2 and turn in on and without problems it ran fine, however the screen did eventually go to lines again. (always a different pattern, not following a bad LCD lines which have always had the same pattern in my experience anyway)

Now.... my conclusion is that the video on the board is bad.

First, Can one of you give your Diagnosis? 

Secondly, Finding a new MB for my Dell has been very confusing. I think I have found that there are 3 different MB out there. DX686, DT781, and R872J. one has nvidia GPU, the others have Intel GPU. My heat sink has 2 different legs going out from the processor. which I think tells me that I Intel graphics ( Nvidia has Three?)

And Finally, is there an upgraded MB that I can drop in that maybe is running a faster CPU? or is more reliable? (mine says its a Centrino Duo on the arm rest, the CPU Chip has T7100, 1.80/2M/800) 

Thanks for all your help, 

Dustin

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 25th, 2011 04:00

Your diagnosis and summary of the differences between the Intel and nVidia boards are correct.  There are really just two boards - one Intel, one nVidia.  The former is reliable;  the latter, wholesale unreliable.

No, there's no upgrade board with faster-CPU support. The D630 was the last of its line (it was replaced by the E-series, which uses a totally different chassis format).

2 Posts

April 25th, 2011 08:00

Well i'm glad i'm on the right track.  Thanks for the quick reply. Now on to the next step. looking for a replacement MB.

How do I go about finding a reliable MB? What p/n should I be looking for? any of these, DX686, DT781, or R872J? 

Where is a good place to find a MB besides ebay?

Thanks again,

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 25th, 2011 09:00

This is one of the Intel boards:

http://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=4357

If you have nVidia now, you likely will need a new heatsink -- that one won't fit the Intel board.

April 4th, 2013 19:00

Hi,

I'm trying to fix my coworker's Latitude D630 which is having the exact same problem.

I've downloaded and installed the latest nVidia driver from the nVidia website for the D630's Quadro NVS 135M GPU, and though it worked initially, the computer reverted back to the original problem.

I checked the Device Manager (on the CRT, since the LCD was blank) for the display adapter and it had the message "The device cannot start. (Code 10)."

Huh???

Apparently the D630 and/or Windows doesn't like the nVidia driver... Can't figure out why the LCD display is intermittent.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 4th, 2013 20:00

The video chip has failed - that's why.  This is common with nVidia chips of this generation.

April 4th, 2013 21:00

If the video chip failed, why does the external video work so consistently?

No Events found!