Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 3rd, 2016 12:00

Dell i15z-5523 3 beeps

So my laptop has had this weird thing where i have to try powering on multiple times to get it to boot. So upon booting i hit f12 and ran diagnostic it said nothing was wrong and i then restarted it no problem. Shut it down and the next time i went to boot it just give 3 beeps. I think im going to be needing a new motherboard and i had a few questions. When dell installs new motherboards is the windows activation code the same because i had my free windows 10 upgrade and no that this info is on the mobo and dont want to lose that and have to buy a retail copy. I recently did a fresh win8 install with the dell recovery usb and then upgraded to windows 10 again with no activation issues and was wondering if it would be the same with a new motherboard?

My other question is whether dell links your service tag to your windows activation because i can get the motherboard and due it myself cheaper and use the asset tool to put my express service code and service tag myself.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 4th, 2016 06:00

Hi ,

Thank you for writing to us!

We certainly have to change the Motherboard on the system .The Motherboard has the pre-injected product key .The link will help :www.dell.com/.../SLN290004

The Service tag is associated with a system and not the motherboard .The Service Tag is a 7-character code, and the Express Service Code is a 10 to 11-digit code that is a numeric version of the Service Tag. Dell uses these product identifiers to access information about your device’s specific tech specs and warranty so that we can provide personalized support options.

Thanks

Robin

3 Posts

October 4th, 2016 06:00

Ok thats what I thought, i was hoping that dell kept track and linked the two together. Is there anyway to keep my current installation code so i do not lose my windows10 upgrade? Like is the bios chip where the windows activation is could i put my current bios chip on a new motherboard?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 5th, 2016 10:00

Hi,

If you are resetting the system to factory setting you will not loose the product key however if you replace the mother board ( externally) you will.

Thanks

Robin

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 6th, 2016 10:00

Hi Dwybiral,

We are waiting to hear from you.Kindly let us know if the issue is resolved.

Thanks

Robin

No Events found!