Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

EJ

June 6th, 2013 17:00

Dell inspiron 15r se Problem with switchable graphics

Hi,

I've been trying to play eve online as it doesn't seem to utilize the dedicated graphics card even though I've directed it to, so i tried to find a fix after much searching it became apparent it would be easier to just switch the dedicated card on for everything.

i found this thread (http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3519/t/19463998.aspx) where the 1st response shows how to accomplish this unfortunately i cant complete step 6 or 7 as the basic view and the advanced view seem to be the same for the switchable graphics tab in the power section.

I've tried to update the drivers but it didn't seem to do much can someone please direct me to what i have to do so i can switch the dedicated graphics on so can play eve.

Kind regards

P.s.

i have a dell inspiron 15r se 7520 with windows 7 

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 6th, 2013 20:00

That game is renowned for not working with switching graphics setups.

www.eve-search.com/.../1

The problem isn't the system - it's the game.

3.3K Posts

June 7th, 2013 03:00

Hi Epic-Jargon,

Does it happen with all the games? As ejn63 has correctky said this can be an issue with the game as well.

Also, check if you have added the game to AMD Switchable Graphics:

• Click the Start button  and select Programs
  • Click Catalyst Control Center
  • Click Power and select Switchable Graphics
  • Choose an application from the list or browse and select an application and assign the appropriate GPU.

Awaiting your response!

June 7th, 2013 08:00

hi ejin63

thx for the reply, Im just going to try the fix reported there now.

yh it worked fine so i can play eve as long as i run it in windowed mode.

hi Dell-Rajesh R

i didn't seem to explain myself well, I've set eve to high performance within the CCC, what I'm interested in is being able to switch my laptop to just using the dedicated graphics card as shown in the linked post but i cant complete steps 5 - 7 as some of the options are missing even in advanced view

thx for any help

3.3K Posts

June 11th, 2013 07:00

Hi Epic-Jargon,

Try uninstalling and reinstalling the Catalyst control centre.

Refer the following link which has steps to uninstall Catalyst control centre:

http://bit.ly/xQ6nlJ

Now, install the drivers from the below link:

http://dell.to/13xMhQR

Awaiting your response!

5 Posts

June 15th, 2013 01:00

**** Solution! ****

Intro: I bought a 15R 5220 Special Dell Laptop. Tried to boot up Netflix and realized there was a AMD Radeon and Intel HD graphics Driver problem.

This fixes the integrated graphics card problems. I can run games with Radeon and skype with the Intel HD.

***** Begin Process*****

Step 0:

Before beginning download:

www2.ati.com/.../AMD_Catalyst_13.6_Mobility_Beta2.exe  and www.dell.com/.../driverdetails

Step 1:

Open AMD_Catalyst_13.6_Mobility_Beta2.exe. Click "install". Wait. Once AMD Catalyst opens click "Next". Click "Uninstall". Then uninstall every piece of AMD software. If you have option between "express" and "custom", make sure to click "custom" and select everything to uninstall. Once uninstalled exit out of Catalyst install manager.

Step 2:

Open Video_Intel_W84_X01_A00_Setup-6NJX6_ZPE.exe downloaded earlier. Extract. It will auto unpack and then run an autorun which will bring you to the Intel Driver Installer. Click next and run all the way until it installs. (It might prompt you that you have more current drivers installed. Overwrite them with this driver package.) Once this is complete, it might prompt you to restart the computer. Go ahead and do so. If it doesn't:

Step 3:

Open AMD_Catalyst_13.6_Mobility_Beta2.exe and install it all this time. Custom install everything!

Step 4:

Restart and enjoy having everything working! :)

***Disclaimer***

The Intel driver installs some HD options package to your desktop. Go ahead and just trash it because it won't help you. Continue to use, GfxUI.exe to modify Intel settings if needed.

The Intel driver you are installing is an earlier version (A00/A01) of the current driver on the Dell page. I found an old version of the driver as I couldn't install the dell driver on the driver page for our computer to fix the problem. But this driver works perfectly with the Beta 13.6 AMD mobility drivers.

3 Posts

June 17th, 2013 01:00

hi,

thanks for the advice. Tried this and although everything else works the Netflix app still doesn't, gives the error the driver needs to be whql signed.

thanks

3 Posts

June 17th, 2013 02:00

hi,

the amd is 13.101.0.0

the intel is 8.982.0.0

thanks

5 Posts

:) No problem! I know that this is a super common problem with this wonderful machine!

If you could throw 5 stars on my post that would be sweet! So we can share the knowledge!!!

Have a great day, and enjoy getting sweet frame rates, Wi-Di working again, and Netflix Metro App!!! 

BlankAlpha

5 Posts

There is your problem.

The intel driver needs to be: 9.17.10.2843

Download ( www.dell.com/.../driverdetails ) and then run Video_Intel_W84_X01_A00_Setup-6NJX6_ZPE.exe to upgrade your Intel driver to the proper driver.

And that should fix you. Make sure you choose to over write the old drivers for the new ones if it prompts you to do so.

Let me know if it switches back to 8.982.0.0 on restart. (It shouldn't.)

5 Posts

Can you tell me the driver info under "Device Manager" for both the Intel and AMD Radeon drivers?

3 Posts

What can I say, your a genius. Thankyou very much, ive been trying since last week when it arrived to fix this. I even thought about sending it back. Dell support hadn't got a clue.

thanks

4 Posts

July 24th, 2013 05:00

Hi,

I have a Dell Insprion 15r with AMD Radeon 8730M and Intel(R) HD graphics 4000 and windows 8. The 'graphic switch' does not seem to work. I had another laptop with AMD Radeon GPU (win7) and whenever I use software like photoshop or Autocad or whenever I change from battery to power, it will ask me if I want to switch to the AMD GPU . But the Inspiron 15r isn't doing any of that. Initially I thought it does it automatically, swiftly without any prompt but until I started doing graphic intensive procedures that I realised that all this time I have been using the Intel graphic card only. I followed your instructions but nothing changed.

Can you perhaps advise regarding this matter.

Thanks,

Kurvin

No Events found!