Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 9th, 2017 01:00

Dell latitude E6530 - Unable to Use Nvidia NVS 5200M as Primary instead of Intel HD 4000 for playing Games

Hi,

I am using Dell Latitude E6530 Laptop which has two graphic cards

Intel 4000HD

Nvidia NVS 5200M.

I am unable to use Nvidia card for playing games e.g GTA IV on laptop screen. Game plays on Intel HD card.

I have already changed default setting on Nvidia Control Panel.

Nvidia Card only works whenever I attached my laptop with Samsung TV through HDMI.

I have done many settings but on Laptop Screen only Intel HD 4000 works.

Please guide me that how can I use Nvidia Graphic Card on Laptop Screen.

Regard,

Nadeem Anjum

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 9th, 2017 05:00

It is chosen by through the nVidia control panel - it isn't and cannot be made the primary GPU.  Only the Intel GPU has a connection to the display panel -- the nVidia GPU is a co-processor.  All video data passes through the Intel GPU on it way to the screen.

3 Posts

September 11th, 2017 01:00

Ein63

I means there is no way that I can use Nvidia on my laptop screen

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 11th, 2017 06:00

Yes, there is - use the optimus control panel.  However, most utilities will show the Intel GPU as active - even if the nVidia GPU is being used, because to Windows, the nVidia GPU doesn't exist - it's simply a co-processor.

3 Posts

September 12th, 2017 01:00

Hi ein63,

I really appreciate your help. I tried to find optimus control panel application at nvidia website but fail. I only found Enable/Disable Optimus Option in Bios and its enabled there.

Is Optimus Control Panel is an application like Nvidia Control Panel ?

Or Is it auto swtiching technolony as described at Nvida website.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 12th, 2017 05:00

It is the same as the nVidia control panel. That's how you select the nVidia GPU.

As above, Windows will still see the Intel GPU active at all times, because the nVidia GPU feeds data to it for display onto the screen.

This model does not have true discrete video - it's a hybrid system that uses the nV GPU as a co-processor for the one aboard the Intel CPU.

No Events found!