Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 24th, 2013 10:00

Diagnostic Light -- steady "9"

I have been attempting to rebuild my Vostro 3700, after a major spill in Costa Rica (about a pint over the keyboard). I have installed a new system board, new power button bar and internal power cord and lastly, a new 720 CPU. While it now powers up correctly, it gives a constant "9" light. The Dell manual suggests a "9" light is CPU related, but that it should be flashing.

Any suggestions would be more than welcome.

Peter

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

June 24th, 2013 13:00

Hi Peter,

Good to know the system is working fine after major parts replacement. If the ‘9’ is lit and steady, it is the keyboard status of Num Lock.

In case you are not using the number keys to your right you may press the Num Lock key to turn it off.

Num Lock key in combination with Caps Lock and Scroll Lock LEDs indicates certain hardware issue. LED of Num Lock alone flashing does not mean anything.

June 24th, 2013 14:00

Actually, the system is not working fine. The power light goes on, the fan powers up, it shows hard drive activity, but the screen does not come on and it just sits there with the strange intertwined icon and the "9" diagnostic light beside it lights and stays on. I really like this laptop, and was very much hoping to restore it.

June 25th, 2013 14:00

If I had neglected to properly connect the laptop screen, would this still prevent and external RGB-connected screen from working off the mother board?

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

June 25th, 2013 15:00

Hi Peter,

I request you to run a test on the display. This test will help in diagnosing if the issue is with the LCD panel or with the controller. If the colors are displayed across the screen without a problem then the issue lies outside of the LCD.

To test the display shut the system down, next press and hold the letter ‘D’ on the keyboard and press the power button. This will initiate diagnostics on the display. Check the status of the display and please revert.

No Events found!