Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 5th, 2010 16:00

Disable battery charging API

The dell battery meter application always enables battery charging after a reboot or return from hibernation.  However, since I spend most of the time on AC, I would prefer if the default state after reboot was to disable charging.  Is there a way to achieve this (perhaps with a hidden switch to BTMeter.exe?)  If not, what is the API to enable/disable battery charging?  Thanks.

22 Posts

December 15th, 2015 21:00

I use autohotkey to disable by default battery charging. Put the file in the startup folder 

September 14th, 2010 09:00

May be this is too late to reply here still..

I was also thinking about developing either a windows service to monitor the battery charge levels and disable the battery charging at appropriate time or similar software to do this job. But, I dropped this idea after I read the FAQs on below link:

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/batteries_sitelet/en/batteries_faq?c=us&l=en&cs=19#faq8

It clearly answers this requirement:

Q I generally do not unplug/undock my notebook. Does this hurt the battery?
A No, the battery has built in controls which stop the charging process when the battery is full.

67 Posts

September 14th, 2010 13:00

A problem is that it is not obvious what the battery considers to be "full".

My understanding is that constant trickle charging a battery which is near capacity significantly reduces its lifetime. This is why Dell includes a "disable battery charging" option. Like the original poster, I also would like a way to make the default be "do not charge".

s.

September 15th, 2010 01:00

I will give it a try and will try to figure-out how to programatically do it.

We can put that program on startup and the same will take care of putting the check mark to disable charging if the AC power is on.

1 Message

October 6th, 2010 13:00

Did you get anything to work?

I would also like this, or some sort of program I can just put a shortcut on my desktop to so that when I start my computer at work (where it's always docked) I have a quick solution to disabling the battery charging.  :)

1 Message

December 22nd, 2010 08:00

Any progress on this issue? I wold also like to enable such feature (disable battery charging on full charge) on every reboot. Please updated us all

Thanks -nbhor

2 Posts

February 23rd, 2011 20:00

How do I restore my ability to disable battery charging on my Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop?  I have had no problems with it until today and now I no longer have that option when I click on my battery meter in the right side of my toolbar.   Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

February 24th, 2011 01:00

Jennie,

You can try reinstalling the Dell System Manager software available at Dell website.

Others,

I tried researching a lot to create a service which could monitor and disable battery charging automatically after the battery reaches max charging level but NO Luck.

Dell is not providing any DLL/Class to gain access to it's system manager software.

3 Posts

March 30th, 2011 15:00

I have Inspiron 1545. I'm interested in this solution also.

I HAVE GOT A WORKAROUND..AND HAPPILY USING IT FOR OVER A YEAR.

- I'm not a programmer so i had made this simple applcation with INSTANTEXE.

- It does clicking job to Enable/Disable Charging option in Dell Battery Meter.

- What i have done is replacing "C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\battery.exe" with my application. Now whenever I press F3 (Battery Meter) Hotkey, my app lauches and CHANGE THE STATE OF BATTERY CHARGING.

- Its simple. One touch ENABLE/DISABLE Solution. No change in system,  nothing.. It just does work of clicking automatically. that's it.

-NOTE:  IT CAN NOT MONITOR BATTERY LEVEL. THAT U HAVE TO DO YOURSELF. (for that i would suggest "Battery bar" by osirisdevelopment.com/BatteryBar)

IF U WANT TO HAVE MY APP/ ITS FEW LINES SOURCE CODE, CONTACT ME AT -- <ADMIN NOTE:Email id removed per privacy policy>

3 Posts

April 9th, 2011 06:00

Source Code in Instant EXE..

I have put Source  and executable file here.

To read source file you need to have InstantEXE. (Free version available, which i have used to make this app.)

http://dellbatteryapp.4shared.com

August 9th, 2013 12:00

I think its something related with hardware and not just software. Just clicking on the disable and enable option in the software won't cut off or enable connection between battery and power supply. Some hardware is required to do so is what i feel.

Can you please explain me about this?

No Events found!