Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 18th, 2016 16:00

Disable touch pad automatically when using mouse

I've had my Inspiron 15 for about 3 years.  When I first got it, somehow I told it to disable the touch pad when I sign on because I always have a mouse attached.  Up until last night this was working and a box would pop up and tell me my touch pad had been disabled...today that box didn't pop up.  Pressing the F3 key does nothing.  I absolutely hate touch pads and want to disable it because the palm of my hand is constantly hitting it when I'm typing and strange things happen.  I've searched all over for help with this and cannot find anything that works.  I have connected and disconnected the mouse multiple times.  Not sure what else to try.  I'm totally agreeable to permanently disabling the touch pad if there's a way to do that.  Can some one please help me?  Thanks so much.

3 Posts

April 18th, 2016 17:00

Sorry, I left off that I'm using Win 7.

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

April 18th, 2016 17:00

How did you set the pad previously? Try the same thing. If the selection is no longer availabe, have you upgraded the operating system. You can try to rwinstall the drivwe. Go to the pad section of the device manager, uninstall the driver and reboot. The driver should reinstall. If this doesn't work, you shoiuld check the Dell driver page for your model and see if an updated driver is available.

The easiest way to solve thia issue is to install the feee Touchfreeze utility. This disables the pad when you begin to type and enable it when you stop. It usually works very well.

3 Posts

April 18th, 2016 19:00

I don't remember how I set the touch pad before...that's why I was asking.  I can't figure out what might have happened to change the settings between the time I shut down last night and signed on this morning. 

Forgot to put in the original post that I'm using WIN 7.

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

April 19th, 2016 09:00

Go to the mouse/pad section of the Control Panel and look for options to shut off the pad when a mouse is attached.

No Events found!