Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 26th, 2011 14:00

Disabling trackstick on Latitude E6510

I need to disable the trackstick on my Latitude E6510, or else I'm going to fling my laptop through a window.  Even the slightest jostling of the thing sends the cursor God-knows-where.

I'm running Windows 7.

In looking through various forums, it appears that disabling the trackstick requires a different trick, depending on the hardware/OS combination.  Nothing I've seen posted solves the problem for my situation.

3.8K Posts

August 27th, 2011 05:00

Hi  Chs3,

Welcome to the Community. You can disable the trackstick under you mouse properties. Click on start, control panel, mouse, wait till you get the Dell Touchpad tab on top, click on the Tochpad image, click on Device Select, and you can disable the trackstick.

If you do not see Device Select, you will see the Ponting stick image on top, click on that, and you have an option to turn it off.

Hope this helps.

Thank you

Royan

1 Message

August 21st, 2012 14:00

THANK YOU!

I have been going out of my mind by accidentally touching the pointing stick and typing in the wrong place.  You saved me at least 100 gray hairs!  I kept trying to figure it out, but missed the "Device Select" which is where I needed to be.  Your answer worked perfectly.

1 Message

September 11th, 2012 09:00

Royan, I don't get the Dell Touchpad tab in my Mouse properties and I am going crazy trying to disable the track device. Is there any other way I can do this?

December 19th, 2012 06:00

I have a Delll Latitude 6500 and I want to disable the mouse pad and the tracking ball.  When I type it stops and it takes me a year to type one sentence.  I have to keep hitting enter to get the tracking ball off my page ... Help please

October 1st, 2013 09:00

a little late but I found this answer and it worked for me...

Go to C:\Program Files\DellTPad

and run:
DellTPad.exe

that gives options for the stick.  I unchecked all the boxes and it no longer "jumps"

1 Message

April 29th, 2014 08:00

I tried all of the solutions but none of them work on my dell Latitude D830.  I am running Windows vista Business.

I am tired of typing something with a H or G and my mouse going crazy.

No Events found!