Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 23rd, 2013 05:00

Disc Checking has been cancelled

Whenever I try to run a chkdsk either from a command prompt or from Windows, I get the message that "Disk Checking has been cancelled". I have googeled and it seems a common problem with no single sound fix. Any ideas?

Inspiron N1510.  windows 7 Home Premium

1.8K Posts

March 14th, 2013 04:00

Hi JohnP90,

You may boot from either your Windows 7 installation disc or Windows 7 System Repair Disc, and press Shift + F10.  A command prompt window will now open. then type "chkdsk C: /f /r" command. Hit Enter. 

If the issue persists, you may run a custom test on hard drive of your computer. If required, use the Resource CD and follow the steps given below:
  • Insert Recovery CD
  • Shut down and restart the desktop
  • When Dell logo appears, immediately tap repeatedly

Note: If you wait too long and the operating system logo appears, continue to wait until you see the Microsoft Windows desktop; then shut down your computer and try again.

• When the boot device list appears, highlight the option CD/DVD/CD-RW and press
  • Boot from CD-ROM from the menu that appears and press
  • This message appears ‘Press any key to boot from the CD’
  • Promptly hit
  • Note: If you wait too long and Dell Diagnostic screen does not appear, then, shut down your computer and repeat all steps.

(Following screen appears): 

• Press  
  • When the Dell Diagnostics main menu appears, select the test you want to run
  • Select Custom Test (Refer to image below)

• Click <+> sign besides 'Hard Drive' (Refer to image below)
  • Highlight 'SATA Disk'
  • Place a tick mark in 'Non-Interactive Tests Only'
  • Click 'Run Test'

• For any problem encountered during a test, a message appears with an error code and a description of the problem
  • Write down the error code and problem description exactly as it appears 

If you do not have the resource DVD, you can download the 'CW1374A0.exe' and save the Dell diagnostics from link:http://dell.to/WcNYmj . You may install the 'Diagnostics' on an 'External Media' (USB drive). Refer to the following 'image':

help drivers out-of-date high

Once the 'utility' is installed, you may boot the system with the 'USB flash drive' to initiate 'Diagnostics'. To boot from the 'USB drive', plug the 'media' in a 'USB port' > Power off the system > Power it back on > At Dell splash screen, repeatedly tap 'F12 key' > Boot from 'USB' > Tap 'Enter' 

Please share the findings. 

1.8K Posts

February 26th, 2013 11:00

Hi JohnP90,

Are you facing any issues with system hardware? If yes, you may run onboard diagnostic test on your computer. For detailed steps on it, you may refer to link: http://dell.to/OUGnqT 

If the diagnostics pass, you may check if there is any corrupted file of Operating system by running SFC scan command. SFC tool scans system files and replaces incorrect versions of the system files by using the correct versions. You may follow the steps below to run System File Checker tool:

1. Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box.
  2. Right-click cmd in the Programs list, and then click Run as administrator. 
  3. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue 
  4. Type the command: sfc /scannow 
  5. Hit Enter.

You may also run a Hotfix for same from link: http://bit.ly/13lkSVD 

33 Posts

February 26th, 2013 13:00

The SFc /scannow reported that all was well - as did the hardware test. The Hotfix showed - "not suitable for this computer".

1.8K Posts

March 1st, 2013 17:00

Hi JohnP90,

If the hardware diagnostics have passed, the system hardware has no issues. Most likely it appears to be an issue with Operating system. You may follow the steps from the thread: http://bit.ly/YF27F9

If the issue persists, you may use System restore and restore the computer to the date prior this issue occurred. All the data on computer will be safe but the applications that you have installed after that restore point, you might need to re-install it. 

Open System Restore by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button. In the search box, type System Restore --> Click it. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation. Follow the prompts to choose a restore point and restore your computer. 

33 Posts

March 2nd, 2013 01:00

I am reluctant to do this as I don't really know when the problem started. I could end up losing updates and settings for nothing.

I ran fsutil and it reports that I am "Clean". I managed to get Chkdsk to run a couple of days ago and it reported no problems - however, I tried it today and I cot the cancelled message again.

Something is erratic.

1.8K Posts

March 2nd, 2013 23:00

Hi JohnP90,

If the diagnostics on system hardware have passed, it means there are no issues with system hardware. While researching on this issue, I found some steps to reset 'chkdsk'. For detailed information, you may refer to link: http://bit.ly/XLfYh0 

If these steps does not help, you may also try to restore your computer to default factory settings. Factory image restore will lead to data (pictures, documents, programs, music) loss. Please perform a data backup prior to this step. Please disconnect any external peripherals (printer, scanner or any USB device) as well. 

For more information on this, you may refer to link: http://dell.to/Wj1rZe 

Please reply in case you have any further questions. 

33 Posts

March 3rd, 2013 02:00

I merged the patch into the registry (it was already set like that). I have checked chkntfs and found a "Scheduled manually at next reboot" - On reboot I got the same cancelled message - which stays on the screen for 18 seconds. (seems a long time)

I did a chkdsk from the CMD and did the check in read only mode and got "Windows has checked the file system and found no problems"

1.8K Posts

March 5th, 2013 22:00

Hi JohnP90,

You may try to restore your computer to default factory settings. Factory image restore will lead to data (pictures, documents, programs, music) loss. Please perform a data backup prior to this step. Please disconnect any external peripherals (printer, scanner or any USB device) as well. 

For more information on this, you may refer to link: http://dell.to/Wj1rZe 

Please reply in case you have any further questions. 

33 Posts

March 6th, 2013 01:00

This worked for me - but I had been hoping to avoid it as it takes ages to get the laptop looking anything like my own again. So many settings to make and time to recover Outlook addresses, etc. I wish it was easier!

Thanks for your service on this.

1.8K Posts

March 6th, 2013 01:00

Hi JohnP90,

I am glad that the issue is resolved. 

Please reply in case you have any further questions. I'll be glad to assist. 

33 Posts

March 8th, 2013 08:00

After going through all the effort of repairing the installation and reloading my backups and making new ones, I thought I would try the check the Disk again. (It had worked once). Again it has immediately given me the message "Disk checking has been cancelled"

33 Posts

March 8th, 2013 10:00

I have tried using MSCOFIG to set a Safe Boot in Minimal Mode and the Disk Check was still immediately cancelled. I have also tried changing the timer in Regedit from 10 secs to 3 and back again.

33 Posts

March 8th, 2013 11:00

I found some advise to run "FSUTIL Dirty set c:"

This caused chkdsk to run.

Any views?

1.8K Posts

March 10th, 2013 03:00

Hi JohnP90,

It is query run to set the volume's dirty bit.  When a volume's dirty bit is set, "autochk" automatically checks the volume for errors the next time the computer is restarted. For more information on this, you may refer to links: http://bit.ly/Xc6Fcg 

Hope this helps. 

33 Posts

March 10th, 2013 04:00

Thanks for the information - but it doesn't help me to resolve my ongoing problem of "Disk Checking has been cancelled" which I get if I try to schedule Chdsk in the normal way(s).

No Events found!