Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

December 29th, 2016 11:00

Displays grey line

Hello,

I have Dell Inspiron for  few years now - It worked fine until i restarted it came up with grey lines as in the below pic - not sure if the video card in the mother board has issues or what... please help me figure it out.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 29th, 2016 13:00

You'll want to see if the system will produce a good image on an external monitor.  If it will, it's a bad screen.   If it won't, it's a bad mainboard.  

2 Posts

December 30th, 2016 03:00

Did you Upgraded the OS?

Upgrading to windows 8.1 as causing the problem. If you check the video adapter you'll see that it is an intel 3000 graphics adapter. You'll see that the upgrade changed the driver to one for Jan. 2014. I did a roll back of this driver. On my machine it rolled back to a driver with date Sep. 2013. After doing this the computer has been OK all evening so I think it has resolved the issue. Appears there is something wrong with the driver that gets loaded with 8.1.

2 Posts

December 30th, 2016 04:00

Did you Upgraded the OS?

Upgrading to windows 8.1 as causing the problem. If you check the video adapter you'll see that it is an intel 3000 graphics adapter. You'll see that the upgrade changed the driver to one for Jan. 2014. I did a roll back of this driver. On my machine it rolled back to a driver with date Sep. 2013. After doing this the computer has been OK all evening so I think it has resolved the issue. Appears there is something wrong with the driver that gets loaded with 8.1.

December 30th, 2016 20:00

No, I use windows 7. it was working fine until i restarted and never boots and i only see that screen - before i had this happen but restarting few sometimes it worked fine.

No Events found!